EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Pancake Rocks and Horsethief Falls Trail

Pancake Rocks and Horsethief Falls Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Divide, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiking on the back side of Pikes Peak I did part of this hike at the end of April. I didn't know then that despite the snowmelt in most of the area (Colorado Springs, Woodland Park & Divide), this trail runs along the north face of one ridge and the south face of another. So the snow was still quite deep. So with no snowshoes, the only one who enjoyed that trek was the dog. Drive west from Colorado Springs on US Hwy 24, through Woodland Park, to Divide. Turn south (left) on CO 67. Go about 9 miles. You'll see the remains of an old tunnel facing you as you come around a curve. On the other side of this tunnel is the trail head on the left. There is no sign! You can park on either side. This is a popular place in July -- easily 20 cars in the parking area around the trail head; but everyone was spaced evenly enough that it didn't seem crowded at all. I like this hike because the trail is covered most of the time, the pine, spruce and aspen trees creating a shimmering mosaic of light and sound as the breeze dances through their branches. Then occasionally the forest opens to reveal stunning views of near and distant mountains covered by an ocean of blue sky. The two terminal points of the hike (the falls and the rocks) are also worth the effort it will take to reach them.

24 minutes ago

Good work to the top

The view up top is worth it!

This trail was fantastic! Enough uphill so you know you worked, but not so much that you are miserable. Easy to follow, not too crowded (9am start time), great forest terrain!

I don't know that I would label this as "hard" but I guess it's relative to physical fitness level. Definitely not easy. The hike is awesome. Park at the trailhead and follow the trail until it splits at the wooden sign pointing toward Pancake Rocks. Do that before the falls. The first mile or so after the split is all up and is the most challenging part, but it evens out a bit after that. Great views. Go all the way to the end you won't regret it. Afterward visit the falls on an easy, mostly flat half mile walk and enjoy the running water.

Fun hike with good views.

Fabulous trail. We started around 2:30 and the weather was perfect. It took us a little over three hours and we did the short walk to the falls at the end. It was about 8 miles total according to my tracker. We were totally spent by the end, the hike up to the Pancake rocks is a good steady incline for the majority of the way and the air is thin. You will be at 11,000 feet at the highest point. We did experience lots of mosquitos and horse flies so if you think of it, apply some bug repellant. We are looking forward to going back in the Fall to see the colors as there are lots of aspens.

it was a bit difficult in the middle very steep rough terrain, if you love hiking than its not bad. I brought my 6 year old he complained a bit but overall he was great. beautiful view at pancake rocks. unfortunate we did not make it to the falls as we got caught in a July thunderstorm and I twisted my ankle on the way down .

A great hike with good views. Partly shaded but coolest in the morning.

Excellent hike. We started late in the day (11am) and still had an amazing time. Definitely recommend pancake rocks before the falls. Dipping our feet in the falls felt great before our easy trek to the car. We did it mid July and still would've appreciated having a jacket, even during the day.

Such a fun trip! I've tried doing it since October, the trail is washed out in areas although but the views from the top are gorgeous