Onahu Creek Trail

Onahu Creek Trail is a 7.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Grand Lake, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

Like a few other reviewers we did the Green Mountain, Tonahutu, Onahu 8 mile loop. Not a overly difficult hike but decent elevation gain and not a walk in the park either. We went in June of 2013 and there were some snow covered areas that got a little bit slick but fortunately we did not have many bugs. We did see a few moose in one of the open meadows.

We hiked this on 8/9/14. Beautiful views! Lots of roots and rocks but still nice views! It's rated difficult so be ready!

We normally spend our time on the east side of RMNP and came here to hike for one reason: the elusive moose!

I wasn't particularly impressed with the hike itself. The trees here are not nearly as attractive as many on the east side of the park, in my opinion. The pine beetle damage was very bad through here, and you don't get the overlook views that you do on many hikes on the east side.

There are multiple small meadow areas here which are nice. There were lots of bugs — something we hadn't experienced much of in RMNP.

We also hiked a loop coming up Green Mountain Trail, across Tonahutu, and down Onahu Creek, finishing by hiking Onahu Creek TH to Green Mountain TH. I'd probably recommend the reverse of this, as Big Meadows and the cabins near there were the scenic highlight of the trip and I think I prefer Green Mountain to Onahu.

We finally got our moose a few hundred yards before the hike ended, which I guess made it worth the trip.

We also made a loop of it by joining Tonahutu and Green Mountain Trail which came out to around 8 miles. The trail was fairly easy our 12 and 16 year-old sons did well. We saw a couple moose during the hike. Took a little over two hours and a storm came in right as we finished. Ensure you bring bug spray since you are near the creek quite a bit.

Green and shade. Spectacular spots where you cross the river. We made a loop of it by joining Tonahutu and Green Mountain Trail.