Ute Trail - Tombstone Ridge

Ute Trail - Tombstone Ridge is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and backpacking and is accessible from June until September.

5.7 miles 1976 feet Out & Back

Trail is on top of Rocky Mountain National park. In spring time you have to look out for lighting, people have been killed. Late fall, Sept., it was cloudy buy saw no lighting. The trail is very rocky. I went only half way for when I was looking at the view, I tripped on a big rock and landed on the ground. It seems I have bad luck in RMNP. I was looking at the great scenery and not looking out for the big rocks on the trail.

Awesome views- esp just before dropping to the forest near the end of the ridge.

Beautiful views..a little rocky and windy..

Awesome views, especially of Long's Peak, but not significantly better than what you can see from Trial Ridge Road. If you plan to hike the whole trail down to Beaver Meadows, I recommend getting picked up at the Upper Beaver Meadows trailhead (6 mi.) because getting back up is strenuous due to elevation change. Otherwise, I suggest you only hike out to Tombstone Ridge (distinct rock formation to your left when you hike out), which is about 1.5 miles one way. Can be cold and very windy so come prepared!

Little windy but a fantastic hike!

Great hike with awesome views. We hiked all of Ute Trail down to Upper Beaver Meadow. Very hard trail if you do that route. 6.5 miles downhill on loose rocks. Took us 3 hrs. I wouldn't take kids all the down.

Beautiful trail and an easy hike out and back to TRR.

Awesome. A herd of Elk came up the trailhead to me and I had to wait for them to pass through to complete the hike. Beautiful scenery

A fairly easy hike for those who want a tundra experience without having to gain a lot of elevation. It is a typical tundra trail which means it is rocky and you have to mind your step. We came upon a hear of elk just before Timber Pass. The only down side is it is a little crowded.

This is one of my favorite all time trails, but it may not be for everyone. Above the tree line, following peaks of of Trail Ridge Road, this trail offers expansive and commanding views. It can be cold and windy, even in the peak of summer so come prepared. We saw several people on the trail who had nothing with them and were very underdressed. A quick mountain thunderstorm would have put them in bad shape.

Come prepared, and this trail will knock your socks off!

Pretty. Windy. Good tundra flowers to see. Elk. Marmot. All down hill if you go on to beaver meadows (another 4.5miles). Wouldn't try coming up from beaver meadows as it is quite steep.

If you like to be above treeline and are looking for a hike without a lot of elevation gain, this is excellent. Start at the trailhead on trail ridge road. You then have about 2 miles (one way) of almost level hiking through alpine tundra, with beautiful views all around. I hiked this in 2009 with my son (9 years old at the time) and loved it, although we turned around after about 1 mile due to threatening weather.

The altitude and distance was not bad, but the trail was very rocky, which made it difficult to hike. Definitely allow for extra time to do this hike. It's not a flat surface, and you'll be stepping from rock to rock most of the time.

Very rocky. Relatively flat. Nice views.