Native Lake Trail

Native Lake Trail is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Leadville, CO that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A hike mostly through forest with views of Turquoise Lake below, and the continental divide above. The mile at the top is above the tree line.

Wow! Beautiful views, wild flowers, and a stunning lake at the end.

Excellent trail up one side of the mountain and back down to the lake. Very peaceful and not too crowded with awesome views!

Absolutely Beautiful!!
My husband and I have lived in Leadville all our lives. This has to be the most beautiful hike that we have taken.

Ive only lived in CO for 2 years, so there is still a lot to see, but this hike was probably the most beautiful hike i've ever done in my life. When we got to the tundra i actually almost cried because it was so breathtaking! The hike wasn't very hard, the altitude made me struggle more than the actual hike. You gain over 1000ft in elevation on switchbacks that are not very steep. There was only 1 stretch on the beginning of the switchbacks that made my stomach turn because of the skinny trail and huge drop (lol)! The drive up on the pass to the parking area freaked me out a little because my husband likes to drive too close to the edge and i was beginning to wonder if there was even going to be room for parking, but alas we found it! It was beautiful and i will definitely do it again!

Awesome hike a little tough getting up to the top over looking Native Lake but well worth it. This trail has three points of interest and can take you all the way to the base of Mt Massive where there is two beaver pounds or just down to the Lake itself and back so the Mile listing out and back can vary.

Visiting Leadville for a few days to visit family we were looking for a beginner-friendly trail to spend the morning/afternoon and loved this one. There are so many beautiful views throughout the entire length that made this worth it. We're both new at hiking but are reasonably fit, and struggled a bit at the beginning of this one--it's fairly steep and rocky for the first quarter mile.

We hiked to the top that looks down onto Native Lake (arriving around noon) but regrettably did not head down to the lake due to some rolling thunder coming in. It took us about 1:15 to get to the top. The view there was amazing and is absolutely worth it, you'll hike about 15 minutes over a stretch of open field after getting out of the forest/switchbacks. The walk down was much easier and took us about 40 minutes.

Overall we had a great time. The trail was a bit difficult to find (you'll drive about 5 miles on a dirt road, and there is very little signage) but well worth it for the views.