Mummy Pass Trail (#937)

Mummy Pass Trail (#937) is a 14.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bellvue, CO that features a lake. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and primarily used for hiking, walking, and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The first 2 miles are on Emmaline Lake Trail (#945) and skirts the west side of the Pingree Park Campus of Colorado State University using a road that is bordered on both sides by private land. The Emmaline Lake Trail leads to the junction with the Mummy Pass Trail. One half mile from the junction, the Mummy Pass Trail enters the Comanche Peak Wilderness, and after 3 additional miles through forest then above timberline, it reaches the northern boundary of Rocky Mountain National Park. The trail continues in the park for 1.7 miles to Mummy Pass and also may be used for access to Mirror Lake, Comanche Peak, and other trails in the park system. Permits are required for overnight stays in Rocky Mountain National Park and no dogs are allowed.

Calling all long distance hikers! You should check out this trail.

Part of what makes this a long trail is the fact that you have to hike over a mile just to get to the trail head. However the scenery is all encompassing. What I mean by that is you get to hike through meadows, see wild flowers, and romp through wooded areas and cross the occasional stream. Once you get close to the end you are awarded with majestic views above tree line. The best part of the hike happened on the way back to my jeep. I was 90% of the way back and I hear a deep woompf, woompf, woompf to my right. I look over and a Bald Eagle is flying by me at head level. What a site that was. I wish I had my camera ready but no such luck.