Mount Spalding Trail

Mount Spalding Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, CO that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

scenic driving

One of my favorite hikes we have done in colorado! We took our 3 kids with us. Great for a adventurous family!

Did the whole loop and went up Mount Evans. Good views gorgeous flowers. Was pretty easy though. I wouldn't classify this as hard.

Great hike with a pretty easy to follow trail and not too crowded as compared to many of the other front range 14ers.

Summit trail is approximately 6.4 miles in length with about 2800 feet of elevation gain on the out and back.

Great hike, pretty easy! Saw some wildlife mountain goats and beavers at the top!

This is my all time favorite hike so far. I say that because even if you are not a "hard core" hiker or let's say your health is not "optimal" you can do this hike and have amazing views. I have to be honest, we did not do the whole hike. There is a parking lot at the top of the mountain where you can set off to the top. If I had to guess I would say that it is about a mile with all the switchbacks, but it may not be that long. It is a little steep and of course the breathing is not easy, but if you did not work at least a little you would not feel like you deserve this view!! This short hike is one that got me inspired to really hike more often and helped me change my lifestyle.

Beautiful trail. Went at just the right time during the season when the last 5 miles of the road to the summit is closed to cars. I heard that it tends to be mildly disappointing to hike Mt. Evans only to summit with people who drove to the top. If you are looking to avoid that crowd, I recommend going later in the season when the road closes. You run the risk of snow storms, but just be smart and watch the weather.

Drive and Hiked. Nice sunny day. Lots of flowers,lakes.

Nice little hike, storm started to roll in around the halfway mark. Made it to the road down when the weather came, luckily no lightning just hail. I'm sure it was late in the day, obviously not ideal but had a great time. Got to visit with some mountain goats on the way!

Great family hike around summit lake, over to West Ridge to take Mt. Spalding (13,800), and around the back side of Evans. Around West Evans to gain the summit after the zigzag tourist trail to the top.
(July 17, 2014).

We took the 5.5mi out and back route from Summit Lake. Beautiful hike; my cousin and I were lucky enough to get on the summit before the crowds swarmed in (then again, it was a Tuesday morning). The trail starts off steep, flattens out over a meadow, snakes along an exposure, then easily guides you to the summit. Very diverse trail that offers steep hiking, casual walking, arguably V0/V1 bouldering, and breathtaking views of the valleys on all sides. Took us 5.75 hours roundtrip to complete with plenty of breaks for water, snacks, and to enjoy the summit.

Great hike. Steep and short. Equipment not necessary, though poles might be helpful. Great views. Make sure to climb up beyond the parking lot to get a beautiful 360°. I started at 4 am to get the sunrise. It was stunning.
Trailhead is a little tricky to find. Currently (July 2013) there's a 2' wooden stake in the right-hand drainage ditch marking where you should turn off the road and a small cairn about fifteen feet up. The turn is also just beyond the fourth drainage pipe after you leave the Lake area (and not counting the double pipe that empties the Lake itself).