Mounts Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross Trail

Mounts Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alma, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

skiing

snowboarding

The trail is accessible year round through the Kite Lake Trailhead.

Great summit of Mt. Democrat. We didn't do the loop because it was cold and a bit snowy. The weather moved in on Sat. But we waited to go up Sunday morning. Car camped at Kite Lake campground (very cold and fire ban in effect so no campfires). Late season tips: the drive up is 4-wheel drive unless you want to risk damage. We took our dogs but only those that are used to climbs and cold. We took water up for them and dog treats. Layers, no yak trax required but good waterproof boots and gators because of snow. I wished we had brought sunscreen and sunglasses. Just be smart...not for beginners...gorgeous views.

Absolutely breathtaking 14ers summit loop. My friend and I got started around 7am and made it back to the car by 3pm. The climb up to Democrat is challenging but beautiful. Be aware you need to be mindful of footing as most of this hike is above treeline with a fair amount of rock and scree. Lincoln and Cameron were moderate rolling ascents with incredibly rewarding views from the Cameron summit! I continued on to Bross which is technically closed as it's a private peak, so out of respect I skipped the ascending trail which had a "closed" sign next to it. The descent down Bross was very, very challenging. If I were to do it again I'd do an out-and-back across Cameron and Lincoln and down the saddle between Lincoln and Democrat. The trail from Bross to the lot was incredibly steep and one section of about 1/2 a mile was chunky scree you essentially have to "surf" down. Overall the weather that day was terrific. Warm and mostly sunny with a tiny micro "blizzard" that passed over. Even in August it helped to have warm gear!

Amazing - 4 x 14ers (technically 3 due to proximity one is not ranked an official 14er)..... Right in the middle of Colorado. One of the best most memorable Colorado hikes I've ever been on. Inexperienced hikers make sure to prepare for what a 14er can do... But, only summiting one is a good option for some people

This was an amazing hike. I made a video for anybody who is interested in doing it. Prepare for lots of wind. You may have to copy and paste the link in your browser.

We did this hike on a beautiful, sunny, crisp, cool fall Colorado day. We opted to do only Mt. Democrat (out of the 4 in the decalibron). The day was a perfect hiking day with temps only reaching up to the mid-50s and slightly lower temps at the top of the mountain. We started at the Kite Lake campground trailhead. The road to the trailhead can be accessed by following the signs to Kite Lake from Hwy 9 in the town of Alma. The road to the trailhead is dirt/gravel with a moderate amount of potholes (some deeper than others). The hike itself was moderate with the majority of the steep sections in the middle. It is only about 1.5 miles (one-way), but there are some steep sections going through boulder fields. There is a false summit right before the last steep section to get to the actual summit, but it's a short distance. I would recommend this hike to those who have some experience with hiking the Colorado mountains and cautioning those who may be prone to altitude sickness.

Everything people say is true! The road near the top is treacherous, but easy enough to park a half mile down the road before that part and hike - other descriptions didn't quite allow me to visualize how rough the road is, so think of a bumpy mogul run on a ski slope and that's kind of what it looks like. I think it requires a high clearance vehicle.

The hike is amazing! I did all four peaks in the afternoon (late season and a clear day). The typical order: Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross. It was a beautiful hike and certainly feels like an accomplishment to do four peaks in one day.

I should add that many people wrote reviews saying that Democrat was the hardest stretch for them. It certainly was the longest since you're coming all the way up from the parking lot and also is quite rocky terrain, but for me Cameron was the most difficult because I felt it was a steeper climb and there were a few false peaks.

Also, I didn't realize until the way down that the Bross trail was closed because I came from the other side, but at that point I had to get down. I managed the Bross trail, but there is a good deal of loose rocks and scree. I would be very careful taking this route up or down right now without proper experience, and even then it can be pretty slippery. It's definitely doable though, just be very alert and cautious.

A wonderful hike overall! I highly recommend it.

We hiked all four peaks and had a great time. Easy hike compared to other 14ers. The road to the trail head was good except in a couple of places that required some careful driving. I would recommend backtracking to Cameron after you summit Bross to avoid the mind numbing decent on loose scree.

Took me exactly 3 hours & 45 minutes to finish the entire loop of peaks. Fairly easy to do the rest once you get done the first one, I did Democrat first. No cover, watch the weather before going. Road is rough to get to the TH but I made it in my Pontiac Vibe hatchback.

Cool hike to hit four 14ers at once. No coverage the entire way so watch the weather. I did Democrat first, Cameron, Lincoln, than came down the scramble/scree field off Bross to make a loop back to Kite Lake. Not a very difficult hike if you are used to the elevation. Easy to follow the trail the entire way and the views are fantastic. Road is gnarly like they all said.

Awesome hike, the road in is tough. I drive a 2010 Ford Escape and had no issues at all. You do not need 4 wheel drive right now but you do need a car with good clearance. We hit blinding snow on the way up to democrat around 12800. We were able to make it up to democrat but had to turn back after the one summit. Still a lot of fun!

Awesome hike! Started at Democrat, did Cameron, over to Lincoln. Loved it! Wiped out, but to be expected coming from Tucson where our hugest is 9,500ish. Did take the trail to Bross and decent that way. The scree field at the end was more than very challenging to say the least. Wouldn't recommend for anyone that is not an expert.

The road up was very rough but if you can tough it out you save a mile or more on your hike.

Driving up the trail road it was haggard! If you want to park in the actual parking lot ($12) you better have a high clearance vehicle! We went on Labor Day so we were expecting to be busy & it was. Arriving at 7:30 there were a lot of cars but since we got past the extreme ruts in the road we got to park in the parking lot. Just reviewing Mt. Democrat - This was my first 14er & I think it's definitely a intermediate hike! I'm in pretty decent shape by hiking trails & doing sports but I had to stop a few times & catch my breath. It took myself about an hour & 40 min to make it to the summit. An hour back down. There is a restroom at the trail-head that is decently taken care of. Kite Lake is beautiful & there are 5 camping spots if you plan on staying the night. I will return to take on Lincoln, Cameron & Bross.

Like others have said road leading to Kite Lake is just bad. Stop just before you see the road turn up. You know when to stop when you see the outhouse that's next to the lake. The hikes are exhausting if you aren't in shape or adjusted to the altitude. They kicked my butt bad. Great view though. I'd suggest if you can start at 5:30am. Otherwise you'll deal with a lot of people around 6:30-7:30am all charging the base.

Lets just get this out of the way. Worst road in the world getting there. As for the trail there was nothing easy about this hike for me. Not an "easy" way to bag 4. Lot of uphills getting from one to the other with Cameron to Lincoln being the least gain. Rocky climbs and difficult downhill off Bross at the end due to steep, loose rock. Took right at 8 hrs. Deep snow in places up top added time. Also went from sweating to blizzard conditions with limited visibility in a short time. Beautiful views and had a mountain goat come right up to us on top of Democrat.