Mountain Lion Trail

Mountain Lion Trail is a 6.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Golden, CO that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

At the trail head parking lot, there is an outhouse and trash bins. You'll need a day pass for the park.

Great loop with a few spectacular views. The historic cabin on the lake is a nice pit stop.

Beautiful trail. We went backwards (clockwise) and I'd recommend doing that so the sun is off you in the second half. We went the extra .5 to Windy Peak and it was definitely worth it. Make sure you pay the 7$ dollars to park or you'll end up paying a 30$ ticket.

great loop! rocky climb and a shaded river descent. love this trail for running!

Rode this trail in the early spring. Half tge trail was completely clear half the trail had a foot or two of snow. We made it all the way but horses were tired though they seemed to enjoy overall.

My favorite hike ever! There is such a variety in the terrain and scenery. Windy Peak is an absolute must do add-on. It adds about a mile to the total, making this an almost 8 mile hike, and is a fairly steep climb, but is totally worth it for the views. A great lunch spot as it's about half way through the loop. Next time we will definitely start in a clockwise direction as some people have suggested. We didn't do that and the second half of the hike is dry and exposed, which can be hot later in the day. If you go in that direction you will end the hike going through the woods along the stream... much cooler. I can't say enough about this hike- I loved it! We'll be going back in a couple of weeks because there are a lot of Aspens on the trail and it will be gorgeous when they turn.

Loved the varying terrain. Not too tough, but a nice long hike. The mountain lion trail can get confusing, however. It leads into the burro trail and then we couldn't find where it picked back up to mountain lion. Ended up taking a service road down back to the parking lot. There were a couple other groups of hikers who had the same issue.

Great trail with awesome scenery! Make sure you sign the log at shelter #4. The app gives you a trailhead spot, but you can also take the gravel road next to where you have to purchase the $7 park day pass to another trailhead location.

Gorgeous day, only saw 9 other folks. Windy Peak is worth it

My husband and I really liked this hike. There were some steeper parts but it was totally doable. The trailhead map says hard but we felt it was more of a moderate trail. Great for our dog since the trail follows a stream so he could cool off periodically! Not super busy on a Sunday morning. Definitely do it again!

Absolutely beautiful. Couldn't ask for a better hike. Very diverse features -- forests, Meadows, lakes, mountains. I drank out of the stream with my lifestraw and it was very refreshing.

Beautiful ♡

Excellent trail. Definitely take the offshoot to Windy Peak. Spectacular views! I would put this in the Moderate/Hard category. 6+ miles and just under 2000ft elevation gain in 5 hours (at a slow/moderate pace). One of my favorite hikes so far!

Great trail, I really enjoyed all the variation in the trail.

One of the best trails I've done! The first half, depending on where you start, is with the river by your side. You get to cross it many times. I started the trail on a Tuesday at 8h30 am and was the only one there for most of the time! Go to windy peak! It's not the easiest hike, but the view is worth it! I will definitely go there again! It took me 3 1/2 hours to finish it, but I made lots of stops for pictures and to contemplate nature!