Mount Sopris Trail

Mount Sopris Trail is a 12.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Carbondale, CO that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible from June until October.

beautiful area. the wild flowers were amazing

My first time in Colorado and last day of my 5 day vacation this was focus of trip to make it to the top. I scouted out the area and parking lot the day before to make my trip easier.

I have to say I did not realize how long it takes to get to the top. I would recommend to purchase hiking poles if you are older. It is very steep and rocky at the top there are not very good trails marking once start getting to the top. So it better to go when hikers are ascending to the top early in the morning to see the path they are taking to the top. I started at 8 and arrived back at my car 6.

The hike thru the forest and the two lakes are amazing, they really keep the park clean and natural. Once you reach the top the views are amazing. Please bring food that will give you energy like fruits or power bar. Also drink plenty of water if you do it during the summer. One thing that thru me off at the start of the hike was going thru a gate that was closed and had chain but it part of the trail it kept closed to keep the cows in. I had great time and meet alot of friendly hikers. Thanks for making me feel invited Colorado for my first visit to the state. I will be back.

Difficult trail but it's worth it when you get to the top and see the most amazing views!! Make sure to start really early if your doing a day hike!

Good trail in to Thomas Lakes, but fairly rocky in places. Great scenery the closer you get to the lakes with outstanding views of Sopris. I did the hike in midweek and there were very few other people in the area. I spent the night at Thomas Lake in one of the designated camp sites and didnt see another person all night. The camp sites do not have tables, fire rings, or water. You cross several springs on the trail in to Thomas Lakes and water is available from these, but I would recommend some type of purification. I took a shot at Sopris early the next morning. The first part of the trail is well defined and easy to follow, less so above timberline with several large areas of loose rock and scree. There was also more exposure than I had anticipated. This is a steep and strenuous climb. I did not summit, due to incoming clouds, and I abandon my climb at noon and started back down. I performed an excellent fall while descending through the previously mentioned scree. Unfortunately, there wasnt anyone else on the mountain to bear witness to this feat. Got cut a bit, and had some outstanding bruises, but otherwise the decent was uneventful. This is a great trail and I enjoyed the entire trip. Next time Im bringing some company.