Mount Sneffels Classic Route - Yankee Boy Basin

Mount Sneffels Classic Route - Yankee Boy Basin is a 8.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ridgway, CO that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

off road driving

rock climbing

skiing

My favorite CO fourteener never disappoints! Nice moderate hike. The scree can make things a bit interesting so trekking poles are a good idea for the descent.

Definitely difficult. Especially skree field but worth it. Spectacular views!!!

amazing view worth the hike

TREKKING POLES. You'll need them for the steep scree section both going up and coming down. Absolutely beautiful views and the V notch near the summit makes you feel all the more accomplished when summiting.

geocaching

We actually completed the topgun approach which links the ridgeline between Yankee boy and sneffels. The scree was as expected at 40 degrees -ish but there was absolutely nobody else on it until it linked up with the classic route. There was Little bit of snow still left in the couloir but easily manageable with basic skills. take care if you are completing the topgun approach because it contains class 4+ navigation in sections depending on your route.

One of the most beautiful summit views in Colorado in my opinion. Great starter 14er... one that is a comfortable day hike without technical pitches. This is a great choice for those that are wanting to take on their first 14er with a bit of a challenge. The trail is established, but you still want to research the route before you go.

The scree field is steep, so be ready for the scramble. There will be snow in shaded areas for most of the summer, but you can avoid most of it by mid to late summer. There is a more technical route available... just FYI. This is a great day's adventure!

Did this in August 2015 and it has been my favorite 14er so far. The basin is gorgeous and the views from the top are amazing. Very steep climb through scree and then some scrambling near the top. It's a pretty short hike if you can make it to the upper lot but we started pretty low and had to tack on a few more miles.

This was a truly unforgettable trek for me.
If you can tough it through the scree field up to the saddle, you should have an easy time making it to the summit.
I recommend going early in the morning if you plan on summiting after July, as the monsoons come in around noon and the view will not be clear.

I've renamed this 14er Mt. Doom. My husband picked out this 14er for us to do while on a road-trip vacation and passing through Ouray. We had a park a bit of ways from the lower trailhead because we weren't in a 4WD vehicle. Started making our way up and first 3/4 were great. Beautiful views, really well maintained trail, challenging elevation gain but in a good way. The last bit is just a straight up rock slide. Complete rock scramble over very loose shale. You have to be super careful about your footing or else you will start sliding back down the mountain. When you finally reach 14000 ft., you have to climb up and through this V notch to get the actual summit. Extremely beautiful views at the top. However the way back down on that loose shale and at such a steep angle was just a little too far out of my comfort zone to be enjoyable. My husband on the other hand was loving life, so it all depends on what you like. I will continue to call it Mt. Doom.

TAKE GOOD GLOVES. First time I did it I had no gloves and learned my lesson. Take leather or some kind of thick rock climbing gloves. You will slip and you don't want to cut your hand on a rock. The ascent and decent is all shale, which can have sharp edges. The way up is hard; nearly every rock you try and hold onto moves a little as you pull or step on it., the way down is fun; you can basically ski down the shale or slide on your butt.

As someone else mentioned, there is a V-shaped rock you have to pass through near the peak that is a little treacherousness but nothing you need gear for. I've done it by myself before and felt pretty safe but probably wise to have others around if you're uncomfortable

All that said, the effort is worth it and it is one of the best views I've ever had plus a sense of accomplishment that comes with a 14ker. And though it's difficult, I've seen a half-blind man in his 60's do it; to be fair he was quite the avid hiker. However, my mom did it twice in her mid 40s out of shape so it can be done. It just takes time.

Highly recommend.

This has to be one of my favorite mountains. It's a nice mix between hiking, scrambling, and even has a tiny bit of very intense climbing, but still manages to remain pretty safe overall. We started at the lower trailhead. My dad and our dog had to stop at the notch at about 14000 feet because they couldn't climb up the 10 feet or so that you need to clear the notch. My brother and I made it to the top and had some great views when the clouds cleared up. There were also cute pikas all over and a beautiful lake at the bottom of the rock glacier that you pass on the way up.

This 14er is no joke. Lot of climbing with a scary pass through at the top through a v notch rock. Started at lower trailhead.

Looking forward to doing this train this year on our travels, I will be taking my Cisco books with me as I am currently studying for the

Looking forward to doing this trail this year on our travels.

It is by far and away the most complete trail you could ever ask for. Wildflowers, raging river, scrambling, exposed climbing, and the 360 summit view on the tiny peak is GLORIOUS!!!

After weeks of researching for a camping spot to spend a few days having a birthday party for his two-year-old daughter, my brother, Kris found Mt. Sneffels Wilderness Area. We took an afternoon a few weeks prior to the scheduled date and scouted out the area, returning home with excitement about finally finding a good site. In all, our party consisted of four adults (one of us being actively epileptic) and five children, ages: 8 yrs, 4 yrs, 3 yrs, 3 yrs and 10 mos. We arrived late Monday afternoon, and claimed a really nice area at the base of the mountain.. Being early in the season and a non-weekend, we didn't have much company to contend with. On Tuesday, we hiked up the trail about a mile, but once again, being early in the season, there were increasing amounts of snowy patches on the trail and having four inexperienced children with us and a baby on my back, we decided to turn back and try again later in the season. (This year, we are experiencing record levels of remaining snowpack for this late in the season.) Even though we didn't continue to climb, we all did have a very wonderful time camping. We only spent two nights out there and the weather was very camper-friendly! I opted to not use a tent, but rather, I chose to string a rope between two trees and laid a tarp over it, staked it down and slept in a mummy bag on the ground. I am anxious and eager to go back soon, maybe with less children next time as to be able to navigate further up the mountain and get some better photographs. This weekend though, I am off to find Lost Lake!