Mount Sherman Trail

Mount Sherman Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Leadville, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

4.8 miles 2068 feet Out & Back

skiing

snowboarding

The trail is great for hiking and normally takes 3-4 hours. There are many different places to park along the path up.

From the Iowa Gulch TH it was exposed, rocky, and today was very windy with small snow drifts at the top. Terrific views with little mileage and vertical gain compared to other 14ers in CO.

Short and easy compared to most 14ers. Good views at the top, but not a lot to get excited about on a majority of the trail.

There is access to some other 13ers once you get to the top - there is pointy one called Gemini that is worth scaling since you're already up there.

Gave it three starts only because it is a 14er. Not very pretty or interesting.

My wife and I got a late start around noon and decided to make a run for it. Ended up being a great day and as advertised by most on here....summited at 3:00 with bit of snow and we were down by 5:30...Road was good alway to the gate near the mines...Our first 14'er...

Loved hiking up this 14er. The little mine site is cool to walk through as the trail meanders up to the ridge. One of my favourites!

Great trek. I prefer the climb from the West side (Iowa Gulch)

Beautiful views from the summit, and multiple 13ers close by you can easily get to from the top. We hiked over to one to get away from the crowds (which were pretty relentless like most easy access 14ers). Hike was relatively easy if you're used to the elevation, as parking is over 12,000 ft. Pretty cool mining ruins to check out on the way up.

Great 14er, awesome summit

The views were beautiful at the summit. We hiked from the west slope (Leadville). I would not recommend this route. Many hikers came from the SW slope (Fairplay). The west slope route did not have a clear or maintained trail. Boulder fields and scree cover the entire west slope route. The descent was more dangerous and challenging than the ascent.

I thought it was easy and as advertised, should be an excellent 1st 14er.

Nice, easy hike for a 14er. Beware upon reaching the ridge because the wind gusts were way more intense than we thought. Spectacular views of Mount Elbert and more!

We followed maps from all trails which took us to Iowa gulch trailhead on the west side. Trailhead was tricky to find, no bathroom or sign, just a cairn. We didn't see many people until we reached the people coming from four mile creek trailhead on the east side.
Definitely the easiest 14 er I have hiked. We added the Gemini Peaks .7 mile north of the summit to extend the hike.

Great experience and a valuable perspective. Didn't much like the rocks, rocks, and more rocks, but the views from the top made it all worthwhile.

I don't like 14'ers, but as far as they go, it's easy.

The hike was very easy for a 14er. Would definitely recommend if this was your first 14er. We went in early July and there were a lot of wild flowers! View from the top was beautiful!

Nice quick 14er. The views are decent and the mine adds to the trip. There is some exposure on the ridge, so if you are afraid of heights I would avoid this hike. The trip mileage and elevation gain isn't correct. This is a 5.2 mile RT hike with 2,100 elevation gain. You also don't NEED a 4WD vehicle to reach the gate. As long as you have a high clearance vehicle you will be fine. I have even seen cars make it up to the trailhead, but you will need to be careful and comfortable with possibly hurting your vehicle. If you start at the 2WD portion, then the mileage and elevation is correct. This is an easy 14er, but remember no 14er is easy. Start early and be off the peak before noon.

Hiked at night the full moon made it easy to see. My first 14er! Perfect for beg hunters.

Beautiful views from the start and they only get better. A lot of incline and elevation gain, but to be expected. You can see old mines from all parts of the trail. We took the trail to the left of the parking lot and found it tough to make out the trail at times. If you take this way you basically look for the cairns (piles of rocks) and go up to the right and then walk on the ridge line. There is a steep incline and then you hit a saddle portion of the trail where you are between Mt Sheridan and Mt Sherman. Keep going up the incline and follow the cairns and you will reach the summit. We took a different way down and the loose gravel had us falling quite a bit. Gets windy up there so pack light layers. Also if you do not have a 4WD vehicle do not take the road that this page takes you. We stopped and asked some locals and took the road to the left of the fork. I will post pictures of it. The summit was amazing! Beautiful hike! Saw a marmot.