Mount Rosa Trail

Mount Rosa Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Florissant, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Following the Steps of the Pioneers (almost): Zebulon Pike & Rose Kingsley The red route line for this trail represents the hike. However, the drive to the trailhead is as important to your enjoyment of the adventure as the hike itself. So plan for a drive time of at least and hour from the time you exit I-25 (see directions below). I'd recommend even longer, especially if this is your first time using Old Stage & Gold Camp Roads. The opportunities for dramatic photographs abound. The goal for this hike is the summit of Mt Rosa at 11, 533 ft (according to my GPS). From eastern Colorado Springs, you can spot its unique "witch's hat" profile by looking at Pike's Peak, then turning your eyes south past Almagre Mtn. During his attempt to climb what is now called Pike's Peak in November 1806, Lt Zebulon Pike's unit was ambushed by the weather. He spent one night in a cave on the southeastern ridge of Mt Rosa. The next day he reached the summit, climbing through waist deep snow, only to realize that his goal was still eight miles away, farther north. You will be climbing by a different route, beginning in a wide valley west of Mt Rosa (Frosty Park) and finishing by ascending the northern ridge to the summit. The mountain you're about to climb was named for Rose Kingsley, an aristocratic young English woman who arrived in Colorado Springs in 1871, and, incidentally, started its first library. She was an avid hiker, and soon earned the nickname Rosa del Mont, or Rose of the Mount. Ms Kingsley was the first woman to climb this mountain.

Great hike with nice views at the top.

Really enjoyed this trail. I parked farther down the road, because it looked a bit hairy. As long as you have a vehicle with clearance you will be fine though. There are some spots where the rocks will slide a bit but push on through and you will be rewarded with a heck of a view.

This was a hell of a hike to the top of Mount Rosa and worth every minute. We started at the St. Mary's falls parking lot and it was not that hard to navigate. When you get to the top you are rewarded with great views of Pikes Peak and Cheyanne Mountain.

A fun easy hike.

Hiked this with a companion today. We took the route that continues from St. Mary's falls for a total round trip of about 14 miles. Rather steep switchback trail after the falls with loose gravel in places, which was more noticeable on the descent.
Nice hike with plenty of shade and gorgeous views from the summit.

Beautiful at the summit!! Hiked from St Mary's Trail to 672 to the summit. Total of 15 miles. Only thing is trail to the summit from 672 is not marked well. There are cairns but Thank God I had AllTrails since I hiked it myself.

Great little hike! It was shorter than I expected, but great views from the top. That opening in the fence to start the trail was tricky to find at first but once I found it, I was surprised I missed it. Got started a little later in the morning, 11AM because I got on the wrong Gold Camp road that did not lead to the other. On the way down there were multiple groups shooting which was kinda scary crossing that field again. Saw about 4 groups of people shooting as I walked down the forest service road. And the trail itself wasn't too busy for a Saturday except the Pikes Peak Ultra saw a few runners from that.
Overall awesome hike and fun drive up to it!

Very fun trail, it's rated moderate, probably accurate. lots of rocks in the trail. We took the directions from this app, as mentioned Forest Service road 379 only accessible with high clearance 4wd vehicles, we parked near the roads entrance and hiked up the road. I used endomondo so did the SO, and it registered about 9 miles round trip from the start of FS379. We did hike about a quarter mile past the trailhead on accident, it's not marked and easy to miss. You will hike past a trail making for 626, a little further up the road there will be an open field of to the right with a wire fence, there is a small opening in the fence we completely missed the opening at first. when you go through the opening you will hike across the field on a pair of tire tracks until you see two white posts with no remaining markings. Nearly all of the signs to this point have been destroyed by shotgun. once you get to the white posts turn right and follow the trail until you reach a post for trail 672, that goes up to the summit. was a wonderful hike, challenging for the kids 5, 8, and 11. only thing that was disappointing is the amount on litter and garbage all over FS road 379, I'm surprised people can be in such a beautiful national forest and have such little respect. also past a few former campsites completely littered with broken glass bottles. disappointing...

I thought it was harder than the back side of pikes peak. Some of the trail was washed out but I didn't care.

Me and my buddy completed this summit today. We started at Helen hunt falls so it ended up being about a 12 mile hike there and back. Amazing panorama views of the springs and pikes peak. Be prepared though, the last stretch is about 6inch of snow right now. Little slippery coming down!!! You have to complete this summit if you can handle pretty much constant upward sloped trails with very slippery rocks

This is a great hike with awesome views of Pikes Peak (see my photos). Access: You FS379 requires 4WD with high clearance. If you park at the beginning of the road, you add 1.4 one way to the hike. Caution: You are in the National Forest and people SHOOT here and HUNT here. They don't always exercise good gun safety or respect the area (as evidenced by the bullet holes in the "No Shooting" signs. So, just be careful, especially if you are hiking during hunting season. This mountain has an interesting history: The abrupt stone point was named for Rose Kingsley, an aristocratic young English woman who lived briefly in Colorado Springs in its early years, and, incidentally, started its first library. She was an avid hiker, and soon earned the nickname Rosa del Mont, or Rose of the Mount.
Kingsley was the first woman to climb this mountain. Mount Rosa stands by itself and takes in unbeatable perspectives of Pikes Peak to the north and the Sangre de Cristo mountains to the south.
Later, this mountain is now thought to be the actual mountain climbed by Zebulon Pike in 1806 rather than the nearby Pikes Peak. He set out from the south trying to reach the tallest point in the southern Front Range, and it is believed that he mistakenly climbed and camped in a cave just on the east side of Mount Rosa beneath the summit. As he reached the top, he discovered that the tallest point, Pikes Peak, was actually miles away to the West and many more mountains stood in his way.

This was a super fun trail. I did start late into it, but managed to get up and back before it got dark. There are a lot of switch backs that will test you. There was a lot of snow on the ground when I went so it was difficult to see the trail. Otherwise, an amazing trail. I'm definitely going up again soon.

Went the same route as Dennis Wilcox describes below ...switchbacks were brutal but only for my 70-yr old legs I suspect. Lots of wash out from heavy rains this year. One young lady jogger blew by me as if I was in reverse! Drank 3-liters of water! 12-hrs RT and 15-mi (we made a wrong turn but soon figured it out). We also parked at the lower falls parking as they were working on the upper parking lot.

Awesome trail and Mt Rosa's summit is a 360 degree panorama! Don't dally if rain or thunder it's the highest point for miles around and you may see fireworks or be part of them worse case!!

This trail review is for the alternate route not listed here on the alltrails site (link Below). You start out at the gold camp / high drive parking lot in N. Cheyenne Canon just above the Helen Hunt falls parking area. From here hike out to the beginning of St Marys Falls Trail (USFS trail # 624) from here you hike up past the base of the falls. It a good idea to refill your water here because this will be the last time you see running water for a while. Then climb over the switchbacks and up until you reach a fence with a pedestrian gate, this is the end of #624. On the other side of the fence you will be on trail 381 but only about 100 meters where you will intersect with USFS #672 AKA Nelsons trail on this trail you'll climb a series of switchbacks through 10,000 feet and into 11,000. Just as you reach the ridge you'll see a trail to your left, this is the trail to the summit. Follow this trail for about 3/4 of a mile to the summit. Chances are if you are as fortunate as I was today you will have the entire mountain to your self. After summiting and enjoying the serenity return back to trail 672 go right to return the way you came. If you take a left you will end up in Frosty's park which is the standard (easy Route) from here you can connect to the 'Ring-the-Peak' trail. For me I returned the way I came making the entire trip at 14.5 miles. Well worth it. I will upload my track later

This is one of those less traveled trails but the view is great. The 360 view is great.