Mount of the Holy Cross Trail

Mount of the Holy Cross Trail is a 12.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Minturn, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Big hike, great scenery!

It's a bummer to lose 1000 ft and have to regain, but this was a great hike to get in shape for Rainier.

Awesome, lots of hiking till you get to the cabin, then if you do the whole circle trail there is a lot of climbing involved, on a 13er to get to the 1000ft mountain part then desend down. Great view of the lake below.

The hike is a crusher but also amazing. We backpacked in the first day and camped near the creek. The moon came up and we made huge shadows over the valley. That was a trip. :) Next day we climbed the peak. Not for the faint of heart. Hiking out is brutal because of the climb out of the creek. Go to Pazzos Pizza in Vail and drink beer and eat pizza afterwards. When I did it as a day hike it is long and tiring. Leave early to avoid afternoon lighting when above tree line. Stay very high right when descending the ridge from the top. Easy to drop to low to the left because of the double fall line and miss the trail. Some people have gotten lost and die when they get lost in this area.

Relatively tough with the the initial climb to timberline being negated by going all the way back down to 10,500 at the creek. Beautiful overall, took us about 10 hours.

Difficult considering we has never packed in to camp before. Most gorgeous 14er I have done (lakes and views). Bring tons of bug spray and be prepared to summit twice.

It is a beautiful trail! Can't wait to do it again!
Bug spray is absolutely needed!

Hiked over one pass and went down into the valley. I set up camp and keep on hiking to the top of Mount of Holy Cross. Where a storm was coming in. So being the only person on top I head back to camp. The next day I hiked out. It was will worth the trip.Lots of scenery.

Bug Juice. A must.

Good hike but try to go on weekend trail can get crowded.

Definitely go early to avoid storms and stragglers. My friend and I did it in just over 5. Beautiful views and amazing history behind this trail.

11 miles from trailhead and back. Done in just over six hours. My first 14'er wasn't too bad. Views are amazing all the way. Careful on rocks at the top.

Incredible hike. Strenuous, but well worth the hard work. Hiked in mid August, start early (5am) in order to avoid afternoon thunderstorms. Should summit by noon and begin the descent to get below treeline by 2pm. Next time I will make a 2-day trip and camp in the creek. Tough hike for a single day adventure.