Mount Margaret Trail

Mount Margaret Trail is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Red Feather Lakes, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The forest service has this trail as being 3.7 miles one way, maybe it's a different route than this, but either way this was a longer but easy hike. It was fun to see cattle roaming around the trail, and we were part of a roundup on the way back out which slowed up down a bit, but we still made it in about 3.5 hours at a fairly leisurely pace. The trail ends at a fairly uneventful spot at the base of the "mountain" - but we climbed some rocks to get up a bit higher on what I'm assuming was Mount Margaret to get a better view of the surrounding area.

I second what someone else said, definitely take a picture of the map on your way in, as this trail does cross with a handful of others. There are at least 2 campsites I saw on the way, they are pretty close to the main trail but with how little traffic there was it might not be so bad! Not wet or marshy at all when we went in August.

7/27/16 I was looking for an easy trail to overnight camp and this was recommended to me by a fellow at Sierra Trading Post in Ft Collins. It was perfect for me. Hiked East Dowdy trail and Mt Margaret trail checking out the backcountry campsites. Settled on number 3 and had a wonderful night under the stars. Being mid-week, i saw no one else out there in the 6.5 mi i hiked.
Highly recommend this trail to flat-landers like myself.

Trail was a bit hard to follow at some points; definitely take a picture of the map at the trailhead, otherwise it's hard to know where you're going. Took the Mt. Margaret Trail to the Frog Pond loop and the East loop, which then connects back to the Mt. Margaret trail. The views of the lakes are gorgeous and totally worth the detour!

loved the ride and views! great place to go!!

Great surrounding area for camping. Easy hike.

Pleasant hike. Marshy area had about 4 inches of water (roughly 20 ft across), crossed stream on 2 tree trunks (about 5 inches in diameter) someone previously had laid across. Weather was mild (40's) with light wind. The dogs and I enjoyed the hike.

My two voice controlled dogs and I visit this trail regularly throughout the year. In the spring/summer/fall, we love to either run, hike, or bike the relatively flat trail system. In the winter, I've often XC skied the area, just beautiful. The aspen are gorgeous here is you can catch the color in the fall. Stopping at Dowdy Lake makes for a nice chance for the dogs to drink and have a swim. The new trail (cut spring of 2012) is great and easy to follow. I have a heck of a time finding the summit EVERY time though!

Nice series of trails between Dowdy, Parvin and West Lakes. Also there are several dispersed campsites toward the east side of the trail system. Dogs are welcome either on a leash or under voice command. I enjoyed the relatively flat trail and it was easy to hike all the way to Mt. Margaret, about 4 miles. Nice views of Lone Pine Canyon from Mt. Margaret. There is a new parking lot which is just across County Road 74E from the Lady Moon Trail Head.

Trail can get very busy on week ends. I went on a Thursday and saw two other people.

Did this trail in January without snow shoes. Probably could have used them, especially at certain points. Got there around 8 AM and in the first 200 yards of the trail ran into some elk. Then about a quarter mile later we came across a moose. Going back in february after some more snow and going to take some snow shoes.