EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Mount Bierstadt Trail

Mount Bierstadt Trail is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, CO that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

snowboarding

Trail is 3.5 miles long from the parking lot to the summit. The trail is almost entirely in the Mount Evans Wilderness. No mountain bikes are allowed in the Wilderness. Stay on the trail to avoid trampling the vegetation. This is a great all day hike in which you will climb two 4ers, Mt. Bierstadt and Mt. Evans. In the process you will also traverse the saw tooth that seperates these two mountains. The hike up Bierstadt itself is faily easy and we even ran into people with their dogs. However, the crossing of the saw tooth will take you on a very intense class 3 scramble and is not dog or little child friendly. In fact, its not friendly for anyone who is not in shape or not able to take on a class 3 scramble. Its a great hike and a fun way to bag two 14ers in one day! Start out early if you plan to do both peaks, especially if you aren't used to the altitude. Wear clothes that will keep you warn during the ascent up Mt. Bierstadt and that will be easy to shed once you reach the peak and sunshine. Also, be prepared for strong winds and colder temps on the way up Bierstadt. I would strongly recommend leather gloves for the crossing of the saw tooth.

Not a surprise but, this is a very crowded trail. the snow fall the night before made the descent harder than the climb. Still I had a great time a out felt great to get my first 14er. I will be back but, on a week day!

The trail itself is ok and the scenery is stunning but it requires hiking elbow to elbow with literally hundreds of other people for 5-6 hours. If your idea of a nature hike is getting away from it all and taking in the serenity and solitude that a wilderness area can provide, this is not the hike for you. If, on the other hand, you are not bothered by having to yield to large groups, loud kids, or off leash dogs every 5 seconds, it may work for you. It is a relatively easy way to cross that "fourteener" off your bucket list and snap that so sought after selfie with a carboard sign...though you may have to stand in line for a while.

Snow covered from big snow last night. First hikers lost trail and blazed up the mountain off the trail and everybody for the day followed. Was much more treacherous with the snow cover and we eventually turned around just above 13,600 feet as we were really worried about the descent. Still well worth the hike!

Not my first 14er but first in five years. Great community along the trail. I started late (around noon) so wound up encountering light snow at the summit and on descent. Wish I'd brought a pair of light gloves.

My 6th 14er so it was cake for me.... However, is hands down my favorite so far for scenery!! Amazing views!!! I'd do it again in a heart beat!

Highly recommended for your 1st 14er. Our group took plenty of breaks on the way to the summit, making it up in 2:45. Back down (including 20 min at the top) in 4:45 total. Left trailhead at 7am. Very crowded (last Saturday before the semester starts for many people). Plenty of parking in the lot, as well as along the road - it may be closer to park further up the road, past the parking lot (don't feel like you have to grab the first spot you see down below).

Great for Peoples First 14er.

Today was a fantastic day if you just wanted to bag bierstadt - we did not follow over the sawtooth as snow was coming in. It was beautiful and even though we summitted mid-morning (11am), there were still few people there. We lucked out. My first official 14er, have been doing 13ers to get acclimated. I promise I will bag a few more this summer! Relatively easy hike, just some slight bouldering towards the end of the hike. Fairly easy.

Lost brand new Osprey Women's Plume colored day back at top of the Guanella Pass Rd. Fell out of car as we were departing, heading toward Hwy285. (hatch back was open as we drove off and we didn't realize it was open.) Reward if found!

As for hike, We did summit...it was a beautiful day and weather!! A bit of a scramble to the top . Lots of people on the trail!

Extremely busy so avoid if your looking for a serene hike without the crowds. It's a great test of endurance and good first 14er to tackle.

Way too many people on this trail.

This is a wonderful 14er with the chance to interact with plenty of people. From outdoor enthusiasts to the first timers. Great views even before the summit . Also recommend climbing Mt. Spalding as well as the saw tooth . Evans is a little bit of a let down since you can nearly drive to the summit.

Beautiful hike. Packed on weekends!! I got there fairly early and there were cars parked all along the road since the parking lot was full.

Crossed a little creek at the start and was glad I brought my poles. Well marked hike. I did get a little sick from the altitude so had to take lots of breaks near the top. Definitely bring lots of water and a snack.

First 14er! My mom and I were born and raised in Miami, so we're not used to any altitude change whatsoever. We took a few days before to acclimate at about 6-9k ft, and then did the hike. It was about 7.5 hours round trip with many breaks and taking our time at the top. Many people were going faster, many slower. Never felt alone on this trek (kind of sucks if you need to pee, which you probably will if you're not used to altitude). A lovely hike nonetheless. Beautiful views of Bierstadt, Evans, and the Sawtooth about halfway up the mountain.