EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Mount Bierstadt Trail

Mount Bierstadt Trail is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, CO that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

snowboarding

Trail is 3.5 miles long from the parking lot to the summit. The trail is almost entirely in the Mount Evans Wilderness. No mountain bikes are allowed in the Wilderness. Stay on the trail to avoid trampling the vegetation. This is a great all day hike in which you will climb two 4ers, Mt. Bierstadt and Mt. Evans. In the process you will also traverse the saw tooth that seperates these two mountains. The hike up Bierstadt itself is faily easy and we even ran into people with their dogs. However, the crossing of the saw tooth will take you on a very intense class 3 scramble and is not dog or little child friendly. In fact, its not friendly for anyone who is not in shape or not able to take on a class 3 scramble. Its a great hike and a fun way to bag two 14ers in one day! Start out early if you plan to do both peaks, especially if you aren't used to the altitude. Wear clothes that will keep you warn during the ascent up Mt. Bierstadt and that will be easy to shed once you reach the peak and sunshine. Also, be prepared for strong winds and colder temps on the way up Bierstadt. I would strongly recommend leather gloves for the crossing of the saw tooth.

Not my first 14er but first in five years. Great community along the trail. I started late (around noon) so wound up encountering light snow at the summit and on descent. Wish I'd brought a pair of light gloves.

My 6th 14er so it was cake for me.... However, is hands down my favorite so far for scenery!! Amazing views!!! I'd do it again in a heart beat!

Highly recommended for your 1st 14er. Our group took plenty of breaks on the way to the summit, making it up in 2:45. Back down (including 20 min at the top) in 4:45 total. Left trailhead at 7am. Very crowded (last Saturday before the semester starts for many people). Plenty of parking in the lot, as well as along the road - it may be closer to park further up the road, past the parking lot (don't feel like you have to grab the first spot you see down below).

Great for Peoples First 14er.

Today was a fantastic day if you just wanted to bag bierstadt - we did not follow over the sawtooth as snow was coming in. It was beautiful and even though we summitted mid-morning (11am), there were still few people there. We lucked out. My first official 14er, have been doing 13ers to get acclimated. I promise I will bag a few more this summer! Relatively easy hike, just some slight bouldering towards the end of the hike. Fairly easy.

Lost brand new Osprey Women's Plume colored day back at top of the Guanella Pass Rd. Fell out of car as we were departing, heading toward Hwy285. (hatch back was open as we drove off and we didn't realize it was open.) Reward if found!

As for hike, We did summit...it was a beautiful day and weather!! A bit of a scramble to the top . Lots of people on the trail!

Extremely busy so avoid if your looking for a serene hike without the crowds. It's a great test of endurance and good first 14er to tackle.

Way too many people on this trail.

This is a wonderful 14er with the chance to interact with plenty of people. From outdoor enthusiasts to the first timers. Great views even before the summit . Also recommend climbing Mt. Spalding as well as the saw tooth . Evans is a little bit of a let down since you can nearly drive to the summit.

Beautiful hike. Packed on weekends!! I got there fairly early and there were cars parked all along the road since the parking lot was full.

Crossed a little creek at the start and was glad I brought my poles. Well marked hike. I did get a little sick from the altitude so had to take lots of breaks near the top. Definitely bring lots of water and a snack.

First 14er! My mom and I were born and raised in Miami, so we're not used to any altitude change whatsoever. We took a few days before to acclimate at about 6-9k ft, and then did the hike. It was about 7.5 hours round trip with many breaks and taking our time at the top. Many people were going faster, many slower. Never felt alone on this trek (kind of sucks if you need to pee, which you probably will if you're not used to altitude). A lovely hike nonetheless. Beautiful views of Bierstadt, Evans, and the Sawtooth about halfway up the mountain.

Trip took 5 hrs including 20 min on top. The hike was relatively easy for a 14000 ft mountain. There were many faster than us and some slower. Overall a great experience. Trail crowded even though we left TH at 0700. Good hike and nice people.

Great hike for our first 14er. Hit the summit just under 3 hrs and back to the trailhead under 5.

This was my wife and I first 14er pretty tough she has asthma so we took our time but we made it to the top in about 4 hours several rest times so she could catch her breath. Once we got to 12,500 feet it really got tough and the very top like someone else said was pretty much go which ever way you thought was best, ours gave me a battle scar from Bierstadt but hey once to the top and all was well!!!!

Challenging hike but well worth it. Take layers!

This was harder than I expected based on the reviews here. I am 37, Colorado native and am in decent shape and this was tough! We started at 5:30am (after car-camping in the lot the night before) which was the perfect time. It was light enough not to need a headlamp but still early enough that there was only about 20 people on the summit with us. It was extremely cold when we started and until after we began down. I would recommend gloves or hand warmers so that your hands aren't frozen when you have to scramble the last bit to the summit. As others have mentioned, around 12,500 feet or becomes very difficult, steep incline and rough trail. The altitude and incline forced us to stop on this part about every 100 feet. The final scramble to the top was marked with cairns but was more like a free-for-all. The ascent took us 2.5 hours, 30 minutes at the top and the descent about 2 hours (coming down was very hard on the knees). Our hike was on a Saturday and when we started down the mountain at about 8:30 there were 150 people or more coming up making the trail quite crowded.