EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Mount Bierstadt Trail

Mount Bierstadt Trail is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, CO that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

snowboarding

Trail is 3.5 miles long from the parking lot to the summit. The trail is almost entirely in the Mount Evans Wilderness. No mountain bikes are allowed in the Wilderness. Stay on the trail to avoid trampling the vegetation. This is a great all day hike in which you will climb two 4ers, Mt. Bierstadt and Mt. Evans. In the process you will also traverse the saw tooth that seperates these two mountains. The hike up Bierstadt itself is faily easy and we even ran into people with their dogs. However, the crossing of the saw tooth will take you on a very intense class 3 scramble and is not dog or little child friendly. In fact, its not friendly for anyone who is not in shape or not able to take on a class 3 scramble. Its a great hike and a fun way to bag two 14ers in one day! Start out early if you plan to do both peaks, especially if you aren't used to the altitude. Wear clothes that will keep you warn during the ascent up Mt. Bierstadt and that will be easy to shed once you reach the peak and sunshine. Also, be prepared for strong winds and colder temps on the way up Bierstadt. I would strongly recommend leather gloves for the crossing of the saw tooth.

Mount Bierstadt was great day hike. It was my first 14er. High traffic trail, but everyone was so friendly and encouraging. Great views once you summit. Very windy, and a bit cool.

This was my first 14er and it was a nice start! We hiked it in the middle of the week so there was not much traffic. The first mile and a half is mostly boardwalks but It gets progressively harder. The top is a scramble, but the cairns give a good idea of the best way up. I would not recommend bringing your dog unless he/she is quite surefooted and can jump up big boulders. There is even a little geocache at the top. This was a very fun and rewarding hike!

There are always a ton of people, so that's just something you have to deal with. It's a gorgeous hike across a valley and up the ridge to the summit where you can see Evans, Grays, and Torrey's. Not too hard for a 14er so a great one if it is your first. Have fun!

This was my first 14er experience and it did not disappoint. The weather today was beautiful. I brought lots of layers and ended up stuffing them in my backpack, which wasn't so fun (7 miles hauling around a bulky/heavy pack is no fun). Started the trail at 7:30 am and summited in 2 hours and 45 mins. I was pleasantly surprised by how few people were out at this time (I'm sure I have Monday to thank for that). There were definitely a lot more people coming up when we were heading down. I would highly recommend this hike for someone's first time conquering a 14er!

This was my very first 14er and I loved it! the views were spectacular and it isn't too far a drive from Denver. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the amount of other people at this trail. It's very popular!

Terrific hike, started at 2:30 a.m. since we were hoping to do the sawtooth over to Mount Evans. Didn't get to it, to much cloud cover and there was about 3 inches of fresh snow on the summit this morning. No cover the entire trail and muddy at the start.

This us rated as difficult here, or a class 2 14er everywhere else, but I really enjoyed the scramble at the top! It was surprisingly fun, and the fall colors are out in full swing right now on your way down. Only a little ice on the trail, did not need spikes. Went on a Friday morning in early September, left the lot at 7:30 and there were still a few spots left. Would recommend going later in the season like this because there was just the right amount of hikers.

PLEASE pack out what you pack in and stay on the trail. This trail is being restored because so many people go around mud and stuff on the trail, and end up meadow stomping. Also, so much toilet paper just left in the buses.

Hiking on a Wed in September has many advantages. I left the trailhead at 7:00 am. There were only about 7 other people on the trail at that time. I wore 3 layers the whole hike. It was VERY windy the top one third of the hike. Cold. Needed full hat and gloves. It took me about 2.5 hours up and 2:15 down. I used hiking poles coming down. Beautiful day. As I came down crossed paths with approximately 30 other people hiking up.

Great hike, crowded at times but we got a late start! 1st 14er....many more to come!

Great hike! There was a bit of mud, puddles and a creak running on some of the trail. The trail was icey in some places due to it being labor day weekend (late in the season) and a bit chilly. We wore coats and gloves for the majority of the trip. We started at the trail head at 5am. Unfortunately it was a foggy day and we didn't get much of a view at the top but overall it was a great hike! There were people that brought dogs and some of them had trouble with the rocks on the last half mile stretch. It took us about 4 hours to reach the top and another 3 to get down. We were a group of 4, mid-twenties and decently fit. There were a LOT of people on this trail. Sometimes it was difficult or near impossible to get a picture unobstructed by people.

Great hike, a little snow on top made for some mud and ice so I would recommend water proof shoes. Perfect first 14er.

My first 14er and was a great choice.

Not a surprise but, this is a very crowded trail. the snow fall the night before made the descent harder than the climb. Still I had a great time a out felt great to get my first 14er. I will be back but, on a week day!

The trail itself is ok and the scenery is stunning but it requires hiking elbow to elbow with literally hundreds of other people for 5-6 hours. If your idea of a nature hike is getting away from it all and taking in the serenity and solitude that a wilderness area can provide, this is not the hike for you. If, on the other hand, you are not bothered by having to yield to large groups, loud kids, or off leash dogs every 5 seconds, it may work for you. It is a relatively easy way to cross that "fourteener" off your bucket list and snap that so sought after selfie with a carboard sign...though you may have to stand in line for a while.

Snow covered from big snow last night. First hikers lost trail and blazed up the mountain off the trail and everybody for the day followed. Was much more treacherous with the snow cover and we eventually turned around just above 13,600 feet as we were really worried about the descent. Still well worth the hike!

Not my first 14er but first in five years. Great community along the trail. I started late (around noon) so wound up encountering light snow at the summit and on descent. Wish I'd brought a pair of light gloves.