Mount Belford

Mount Belford is a 3.9 mile point-to-point trail located near Granite, CO and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is accessible from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

3.9 miles 4517 feet Point to Point

A very straightforward fourteener through the magnificent Missouri Gulch From the trailhead cross Clear Creek using a well constructed bridge. Just over the creek is the sign-in for the trail. A little further down the trail and off to the left is the cemetery for the town of Vicksburg. This makes for a short interesting stop. The trail then quickly heads up a steep slope using some nicely cut switchbacks. After breaking treeline and entering Missouri Gulch you will come to an intersection that is labeled with a sign. The sign will direct you to your left. The ridge of Belford will be directly ahead of you and this will be your path to the summit. This hike goes through an unbelievable number of switchbacks. However they are much better than the origninal trail that just went straight up. Take the switchbacks all the way up the ridge, pass a false summit until you see the orange colored rock protrusion that comprises the actual summit.

Surprised to see 14er has this one classified at 2, seems more difficult. Creek crossing was completely frozen, make sure to look for the cairn on your left to know where to cross and continue on the trail. Amazing view once you pass the old log cabin. Steep climb, crampons necessary for the sporadic icy spots. Amazing views the whole trip up the prominence, well worth the difficulty.

This was only my second 14er, but I thought it was much prettier than Elbert. Our group started a little before 5:30 am - we're slow - we were back at the car in 9 hours. We took the steep way up, and the 1 mile extension "loop" back. Like other reviewers, I strongly strongly recommend that route. It's very pretty, will be easier on your knees, and you avoid sliding in loose rock during the steep descent.

As my first 14er, I was extremely satisfied! Not only simply because I did it, but because of how unique each point of the trail is! We did the steep switch backs in the way up (park ranger said that there are 105 of them) and for the way down we took the gradually descending loop that takes you arrive the valley on the back side of the mountain. Now that does add an extra mile or so taking that route down, but it was so worth it because you avoid doing the same thing twice.

geocaching

Beautiful hike but can be strenuous at times. Not recommended for beginners. Sights at the top are worth the trek!

Gorgeously diverse trail up to a 14er, definitely recommend trying Oxford as well, The views are worth the hike and there are lots of camping spots below the tree-line. You can make it a lot easier on yourself by camping out the night before. Elkhorn Pass is a slightly longer hike down but a lot less steeper way down than the way you came up to Mount Belford and has amazing views with lots of wildflowers, definitely recommended.

This is tough but worth it. Round trip to summit Belford, 8 miles. Steep going up and tricky coming down. The top was very windy and cold around 10am. Incredible views and wildflowers.

Had a hard time on this one, but I was completely out of shape. the views were amazing and the experience was overall good. I didn't get to the peak but planning to go back. not going to let it get the best of me.