Monarch Lake Loop Trail

Monarch Lake Loop Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Granby, CO that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The views of the mountains and rivers are breath taking especially early in the season around late May, with moose and other wildlife sightings in the area. The trail will take you along the edge of Monarch lake and into the woods were you will cross both Arapaho and Buchanan Creeks along with several runoff steams. This area is quite lovely but keep in mind that as this is a fairly easy trail there maybe a lot of traffic. The trail is made up of the Cascade Creek and Arapaho Pass Trails and its spurs, but all of the turns are well marked. It is always advisable to have a trail map of the area with you. If you are looking for fishing or a nice view to picnic the lake area and trail head are a great. Dogs are allowed on leash in the Arapaho National Forest, but check with the ranger station for any local restrictions. Remember to check in at the trail head. There are bathroom facilities as well at the trail head.

Really beautiful views all around lake. Easy trail in good condition. Nice hike. About 2 hours around.

Trailhead wasn't clearly marked. Beautiful hike ending with a visit from two moose in the water!

Good hike with kids, nice diverse area with lake views, river, marsh and wooded area. Fairly shaded most of the hike. Little elevation change. I only gave it three stars since the best views are really at the beginning of the loop but it is gorgeous!

Nice hike through diverse areas. Our dog enjoyed it too.

Beautiful hike that takes you through different types of surroundings--lake, marsh, forest, creeks. Took my grandkids and they were able to walk most of it themselves.

Very nice trail!

1st time I've hiked it, beautiful scenery and we'll maintained.

Very nice trail! I would do this again in a second.

For such little effort, this trail has a lot of rewards. Beautiful day hike. Earlier in the day the better.

My wife, dog and I enjoyed the walk around the lake. We were able to see deer, a snake, ducks and more. It rained on us but we enjoyed it cooling us off. There were plenty of streams to let the dog and us refill water depletion.

What a beautiful hike! The signs at the half way mark were confusing coming from the north side. With our dog and frequent stops it took a little under 3 hours. My only complaint is that there were multiple dogs off leash and no one was there to enforce the rule.

Very nice and lots of shade on the whole trail. A couple of beautiful places to stop and dip you ties into the creeks along the way.

Loved this Trail. Went in on the South Side of the lake and when we got to the halfway point, we detoured up a split instead of continuing around the trail. SAw a waterfall over look thiny and turned back. Absolutely recommend it. Only change I would have made is I would have STARTED on the North Side instead of the south side, as the last leg was a bit tiring after the detour.

Nice day but breezy. 90 minutes for the loop. Parking lot was pretty full and I was lucky to avoid the 3 vans of camp kids enjoying the outdoors.