Maxwell Falls Lower Trail

Maxwell Falls Lower Trail is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Evergreen, CO that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and horses and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This candy wrapper style loop trail, located near Evergreen, CO, will take you past 2 small water falls and Upper Maxwell Falls if you do the whole loop. This is a easy to moderate trail with only a minor elevation gain of 644 ft. This forested trail has two trail head options with a loop in the middle. This information is from the lower trail head parking lot. From the lower trail head the distance to Upper Maxwell Falls is about 2 miles. From the lower trail head after crossing the foot bridge stay to the left and follow the signs and the river upwards to go directly to Upper Maxwell Falls or go right to go up Cliff Loop Trail which will meet back with Maxwell Falls trail just above the falls. If you take Maxwell Falls trail first the falls will be two miles up on the left and down. Just listen for the water getting louder and keep an eye out. Its a bit hidden. You can turn back from here or continue past the falls a short way to find the Cliff Loop Trail on the right. This will take you back around to the foot bridge. Or you can go the opposite way, taking Cliff Loop Trail from the foot bridge and coming back down Maxwell Falls Trail. You will see one very small falls a bit lower on Maxwell Falls Trail and another on Cliff Trail near the foot bridge.

22 minutes ago

Great trail! There was a lot of traffic, but the hike it self was fun! Lots of shade. Kinda got lost making the loop, but found or way very easily! The dog loved it!!!

Great time out and we really enjoyed this trail. But the spring time is best!!

The trail was great, lots of shade from sun. however my 6 year old slipped a few times on the loose dirt and rocks so be careful. Also the falls is pretty dried up, but I will definitely come back in the spring.

Gorgeous! Only bad thing was that we went later in the year and the falls were pretty dry. Springtime would be the best!

Hiked this for the first time today. It was a pretty, wooded trail. It isn't super well marked. I stuck to Maxwell Falls, which was an out and back best I could tell. I think if you do Cliff Loop, you can take a little different way back, but since it wasn't marked well, I didn't risk it. I hiked this with my dog, and thankfully we got there early! On the trail by 8:30am, off the trail by 11am, and by 11, it was packed...and EVERYONE had a dog. Parking was free, which was great!

Good trail although a bit crowded but it was over Labor Day weekend. We did the figure 8 loop and enjoyed the return as it was very light traffic. Creek/falls were okay, might be better in the spring/early summer. Overall, good hike and moderately challenging.

It was a great hike. Not difficult and not easy. Our two kids plus our puppy were along. We didn't make it to the falls as we were told there wasn't a fall (lack of water) and wasn't like the pictures on this site....for this time of year. We played in the stream at the bridge and still had a great time. Fun hike

Beautiful Colorado family hike! Shaded which was perfect! A bit further than we thought but our kids ages 4, 7, 12, 15 and my husband and I enjoyed this moderately difficult hike! We will return! Next time we will plan to have a picnic at the falls instead of just a snack!

This is a beautiful end-of-summer trail to hike with a dog. It's well maintained but signage is poor, so make sure you're familiar with the terrain. My only regret is that other hikers had dogs off-leash; this is very irresponsible & dangerous.

I normally start at the Upper Trailhead, so I'll review from there- From the small parking lot, there's a nicely paved single track that opens to a well-maintained dirt trail. If you go early enough in the season, you'll hike parallel to a stream that will eventually lead to the falls. There's plenty of camping areas along the way and the falls (albeit not the most impressive) make a nice short destination. Signage is decent, but you can't miss the trail as it winds along.

It was very pretty. Apparently I went during the wrong time of year because the waterfall was quite unimpressive. But beautiful scenery nonetheless.

Fun trail easy walk for the kids lots of trees and if u go in the summer the waterfall Is so so

Go early in the season as the fall dries up by mid to late summer.

I do not recommend for horses. No knee room between trees. Scenery minimal. August so no falls. Several tricky rock slabs my horse slipped and fell. Per gps 777 ft elevation gain in first 2.2 mi around upper loop and back total 5.5 mi 1132 ft elevation gain. Either steep up or steep down rare flat areas (no rest/recovery areas) makes for a strenuous trail. Especially the first 2 miles.

Really good trail and not to difficulty.