Maroon Creek Trail

Maroon Creek Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Aspen, CO that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until September. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Aspen: Drive 1/2 mile west of Aspen on Highway 82 and turn left onto Maroon Creek Road at the roundabout. Keep right and continue 6 1/2 miles to the East Maroon Portal (to hike up valley) or 9 1/2 miles to the Maroon Lake Parking Area (to hike down valley).From mid-June through September, the Maroon Creek Road is closed from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and you will need to take a shuttle bus from Ruby Park in Aspen. The bus includes an informative guided tour of the valley. Contact the Roaring Fork Transit Agency at 925-8484 for more information.

Great hike, very easy, well shaded and leisurely stroll. This would be an amazing hike during the changing of the leaves.

We enjoyed this beautiful trail so much. Being from sea level, we didn't feel we were up for a more moderate trail. We decided to extend up further past the waterfall to do the loop through the forest so the entire loop was about 3.2 miles and from the point of view of a middle aged couple with two teens (all from sea level as I said before) we found the hike to be very pleasurable and a "just right hike" for our first week up in high elevation.

Everywhere you look, you'll see beauty and color and magnificence. The mountains surround the valley, wild flowers of various kinds (white, yellow, orange, purple, lavender, pink, and red), butterflies (white/black, monarchs, and more), aspen trees, the creek and waterfall and lovely weather all combine to make this a spectacular hike that most everyone will enjoy.

We took amazing photos. The scenes are imprinted in my memory as well as in photo. Will definitely want to come back for more.

We rode the bus up from Aspen Highlands to Maroon Bells. We were dropped off right at the lake. The views were amazing! We did the 3.6 mile, one-way hike down along the East Maroon Portal. The description of the trail says good for all skill levels, but it was tough in some places. It started off nice enough and then we hit the fields of rocks. It was very slow going, and you had to constantly watch your footing. I was only wearing tennis shoes and the rocks hurt both the bottoms of my feet and eventually made my ankles sore. I am an avid walker, but the ups and downs of this trail were tough. Also, we had only been living in Colorado for a month and the elevation took a toll on our lungs. Near the end of the trail, there are a few steep inclines that we really had to rally to get past. I thought the trail would take an hour and a half or so, but we were walking for nearly 2 1/2 hours. We definitely were moving at a very slow pace due to the rocks and elevation. There were lovely views along the way, so that was nice. This is not a trail for families with small kids because of the loose rocks and inclines.