Lovell Gulch Trail

Lovell Gulch Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Woodland Park, CO that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

scenic driving

Directions from Colorado Springs: Drive 18 miles west on Highway 24 to Woodland Park. Turn right on Baldwin Avenue at the traffic light immediately east of the McDonald's. Continue driving straight on this road. It becomes Rampart Range Road within a mile. The trailhead is north of Woodland Park on Rampart Range Road, next to the City Road Maintenance Building.

Great hike! Easy signs to follow along the way.

nice colors!

Our first hike in Woodland Park, and it was beautiful!

First trail our family did since arriving. Great scenery, small stream crossing. Good for beginners.

Great loop along creek and through many aspen groves. Very green, return loop in counterclock direction spends a bit too long under power lines. Very accessible and good parking.

went today. ...we got caught in a bad storm and we went to the left and that had some pretty steep hills. Overall it was good

We hiked this trail today with our dog. We are older and new at hiking so this hike was quite a challenge for us. We did as one of the other reviewers advised and went counterclockwise when we reached the loop which probably saved our lives. The steep hill we went down was crazy.. cant imagine if we had gone the other way and had to hike up it.. I don't know if we would have made it. We did make it all the way around.. it took us 3 hours to do the 5 miles.. again.. we are old and a bit overweight... so we were slow. we saw young people jogging the trails.. The views were amazing and we were proud of ourselves for completing the loop. We had a little trouble finding our car on the way back.. probably because we were so exhausted... but all in all we had a wonderful day. Its a great hike but a challenge as there were quite a few steep hills.

Nice trail with cool views, large electric lines running right through kind of steals any feeling of getting away. Has a lot of false trails coming off the main trail. I ended up getting off the trail and had to make my way down a steep grade off trail to get back to the trail head.

Good trail with easy markers for directions. river was small but offered by dog a nice cool drink. Incline was good exercise, will do again!

We passed the sign that said where the trail head was so I took a picture of it so other newbies would know where it was. The beginning of the trail is good and easy to hike. Some spots were muddy from melting snow on the trail. Yes. there are several trails that branch off but we were able to keep on the main trail by marked signs and visible wear on the main trail. As we got further into the gulch there was more snow and the trail had a lot of frozen areas. Everyone else who we ran into had crampons and I wished I owned a pair. We were still able to press on but it was a slow go of it.

If you go counter-clockwise, you ride up the single track and down the double track. There are a couple of creek crossings, but they are easy. It's a good grind uphill with a couple of real lung-busters, but nothing too bad. Not very technical, though there are a couple of rooty/rocky sections but nothing really hard. There was one root that was really fun to launch off off on the downhill. Not a lot of drops or jumps to be had. There are some steeps and the downhill going counter-clockwise is fast and furious. It might sound weird, the double-track doesn't feel like double-track so it's all good. Beware of loose granite in places. A fun ride overall.

Easy access, lots of shade some beautiful views. Didn't do the full loop; got caught in some rain and hale. Nice afternoon or last minute hike. I'll do it again after I check out other hikes in the area.

Good

As a hike... not challenging, but I nice quiet area to move your legs at least. I've mtn biked in here too. Its not a technical ride at all, but you can get your speed up there if you like to ride fast.

Lovell Gulch is a hike with moderate difficulty. On weekends and summer months this trail is used mainly for hiking and mountain biking, also occasional horse traffic. There are several unmapped loops associated with this trail to make hiking/mtn. biking more interesting. There isn't exceptional scenery except on the upper portion (under the power lines) where you can see Pikes Peak and snow capped mountains to the west. Most of the hike you are in a nicely forested area with Aspens/Spruce/Fir and Pine trees. The trail follows a small creek that attracts wildlife and also dogs like to stop and play/drink. I have never seen any domestic livestock on any portion of this trail. The trail is used all year but can be icy in the winter months.

Poor markings for trail head and trail itself. Views are ok at best. Overall a nice, decent hike but other hikes in the area seem to provide better views and scenery for the same amount of effort. (Especially if you are on vacation and have limited time).

I was not expecting such a remote trail! Reviews led me to believe I would be seeing park benches, ducks, and old ladies on oxygen! I found this to be a very enjoyable hike with some very nice scenery. The power lines definitely detract, but up on the top of the Lovell Trail Loop the climb gets high enough to see Pike's Peak over the power lines a number of times. The trail on the west side of the ridge has some great views of the higher snow covered peaks. A word of advice, when starting the trail make sure you stay to the right and don't expect to start the loop until you see the actual sign that says Lovell Gulch loop 3.5 miles. If you go to the left too soon you will end up on the back roads of Woodland Park and not on the trail. Also there is a pretty good stint along the power lines on the top of the ridge with no trail signs. Don't let that throw you, you are still on the right trail :-) This would be a good hike for aspen viewing in the fall, and a great snow shoe trip if we ever get a decent amount of snow! Also a great place to take your dog for a nice stroll! Oh, and keep an eye on the trail, there are tons of off shoots and all kinds of deer trails going everywhere!

This trail is right in the middle of WoodPark,Co. But you would not know it-if it weren't to for the power lines obstructing the views. Nice trail to start out you're hiking adventures on.
I rate it moderate-not crowed.

If you are looking for a nice stroll through the woods, then this is a nice trail. But not for the more adventurous. The views would be nice if the power lines were not in the way. Was nice that we never passed a single person though.