EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

The Loch Lake Trail

The Loch Lake Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, CO that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible from March until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a half day. Once we saw the water careening down the canyon so freely, We decided to hop over to the opposite side of the stream and scale rocks and ledges most of the way to capture most of the beautiful shots that we were able to. Once you make your way to The Loch, you will experience some of the pristine beauty that the Rocky Mountains hold. It was amazingly breathtaking to see the canyon and surroundings once we got there! You can get a view of a Andrew's Glacier.

My favorite mountain lake I've hiked to thus far! Large lake with tons of areas to sit and enjoy Mother Nature to the fullest. Lots of people were fishing. There were a few elk that decided to take a swim :)

Beautiful and very well marked. Tip about anti bug very useful.
We took our 7,5,3 (on my back) and they did very well.

Amazing views, top of my list of scenic hikes. We started at 5am parking at Glacier Gorge Trailhead was pretty full. Easy hike took us 2 hours to get there. Make sure you bring mosquito repellent, otherwise they will chase you up the trail :)

Beautiful trail! First time to hike in Estes Park and we thoroughly enjoyed this one. We took the trail to Alberta Falls then continued on to Loch. It was a great morning hike, we were finished by the time it started to get busy.

fly fishing

The hike from Alberta Falls trail head was amazing. A bunch of gorgeous waterfalls along the moderate hiking trail that opened up to the even more gorgeous Loch Vale. Fishing was great and views are even better. You won't regret the short hike to Mills Lake either!

7/16/16 - The trail is amazing! First of all there's an admission fee to RMNP, $20 - no big deal. Don't expect to get a parking space. I arrived late to beat the crowds and it sort of worked. Park at the large parking lot and take the shuttle to Glacier trailhead. From there it's a quick easy hike to Alberta. It's so nice not to have to juggle over boulders and tree roots, you can tell these trails are maintained nicely. Most of the tourism stops at Alberta Falls but continue to Loche Trail. The trail follows a stream / more waterfalls for a good 1/3 of the trail. Beautiful vistas, gorges, water and rock cliffs. It took me 3 hours to get there with 2 lunch breaks and lots of stopping for pics, 1 hour to get down. Elevation isn't too bad. And then the Lake! Holly cow I've never seen anything like it. No more pics needed for this trail but it's a must.

The hike was great! There were some waterfalls along the way and the river ran alongside the trail for a lot of the hike, but the high point of the trail was definitely the loch. It was incredibly beautiful and peaceful... Very picturesque!

One of the very most beautiful trails in RMNP in my opinion. Easy hike, not extremely crowded, and the Loch is absolutely phenomenal. There are lots of places to walk around the Loch and take in the views, eat, relax, etc. Will be doing this hike again soon!

This is a good hike; the serenity, size, and beauty of the lake is well worth the trek! Plenty of spots to chill and have lunch w/o close neighbors. After I
Learn to fly fish I could spend hours here!

Great Hike several features along the way.