CLOSED: Lion Gulch

CLOSED: Lion Gulch is a 5.7 mile out and back trail located near Lyons, CO that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is accessible from June until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Currently closed due to flood damage.

Closed, Schmosed!

Yes, it is closed because the main bridge is out at the first crossing over the Little Tom. Fortunately, after about June or so, the water is low and slow enough that you can easily cross over to hit the rest of the trail. In terms of the trail itself, some volunteer work was performed on at least part of the trail in 2014 and a new pedestrian bridge was built over the second Little Tom crossing, thereby clearing the path for resumption of hiking.

Hiked much of it yesterday (encountered some poison ivy and decided to turn around past a certain point, so I didn't make it to the homesteads) and what I hiked looked great, so much so that I'll go back once the ivy has been frosted over and killed.

Disclaimer: The trail is officially closed, as the signs indicate, so I cannot officially recommend accessing it. This review is for entertainment/informational purposes only. I was never here.

Haven't even hiked it yet but the fact that fallen trees and washed out ground is present makes it so much more exciting!!!!

Thought I'd check it out, hoping it was open by now since I wanted to hike with my dog, and it is still closed. Wonder if it will be reopened eventually.

Yes the trail is closed due to the flood that took out the bridge, the creek is so low that you can easily cross, and the trail goes on from there. My hiking buddy and my went straight up the mountain 1,300 ft to the top off trail and hand a wonderful time, but it was extremely difficult through all the dead trees. Not for beginner hikers. There is a campsite at the top carefully laid stones, and a full fireplace with cooking utensils and a latrine made of rocks. If you want to be off the grid before the snow comes, this is your last resort.

Trail is closed- people are hiking back anyways, but having difficulty finding and staying on a trail. So sad, I've been wanting to do this hike for a long time.

Trail closed. 7/5/15

closed due to floods.

This hike was my first one since moving back to Colorado from Arizona. Went with my buddy and it was an awesome hike. We went early in the morning around 10 and it was not crowded at all. We hiked all the way to the top and explored one of the homesteads. The trail is small and enjoyable with a nice stream to follow with a lot of trees. It rained and hailed on us at the top but we hid behind a rock and ate lunch, it was a beautiful scene. Will hike this trail again sometime.

One of my favorite hikes, have done it wary and late summer. Trail can get very soggy in early summer (May). Love the variety of the trail and the history with the homesteads!

Such a beautiful hike! It's about 3.14 miles from the trailhead to the kiosk that begins Homestead Meadows, which is very cool to walk through. The beginning of the hike is steep with huge steps. From there it's pretty smooth with with some rocky points. However, at the 2-2.5 mile mark is the hardest park of the hike. A very steep ascent that's very rocky and also has lots of loose gravel so beware of your ankles here. There's lots of stream crossings, I counted six total. I got to the trailhead at 8-815am on a Sunday and the lot had only 5-6 cars. I recommend going at this time because during our descent which was around noon-1pm, the trail got very crowded. Also, people like to bring their dogs on this hike so dogs are everywhere during the afternoon hours. Even more so, the dogs are unleashed even though it CLEARLY says at the trailhead that animals MUST be leashed. Overall, this hike was absolutely beautiful and peaceful in the morning, I'd definitely do it again!

A wonderful hike for just about any time of year. We hiked it at the end of Nov. and plan to go back in late summer or fall. There are a few water crossings that could be a little tricky in the spring and early summer. Homestead Meadows was very interesting.

The historical walk through Pioneer America in Homestead Meadows makes this a must for Northern Colorado. Leave early in the morning and bring lunch. You will want to explore the Homestead Meadows Loop with information markers at the half a dozen different homesteads. You will get an appreciation of how tough these pioneers were.

Bring the pooch, but please put 'em on a leash. You're a long way out to have to take care of your dog after it gets into a fight with another canine.

This hike has many different elements-hot, open-air walking, cool wooded serenity, steep rocks followed by level footing, high views and fields of grasses in a valley. Hiked to the Walker Homestead but we were tired by then and made that our only stop. I would pack a lunch and stop along the way next time. There are several good spots for a picnic. Then you will have energy to go to all the homesteads and see some history. Good hike for squirrel watching. Wish there was at least one trash can at the trailhead. Lots of poop bags left around. Good hike for dogs b/c almost everyone we saw had one or more. Lots of streams for dogs to investigate. Great hike!