Lake Isabelle Trail

Lake Isabelle Trail is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Nederland, CO that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

What a stunning hike! I absolutely loved this!!

I got in from LA yesterday and planned to come up here with friends this morning to have a change of scenery. I got into the parking lot right at 7am and scored the 2nd to last parking spot in the lot. It does fill up fast. My friends had to park at the lot next door.

Scenic the entire time. I was in such awe as I'm used to smoggy LA but the weather was clear and perfect aside from some strong wind gusts.

I consider the hike easy. But will note the few switchbacks there are as you are getting closer can be rocky and narrow. You will be climbing rocks here and there and walking over waterfalls via wood panels. Which I thought was cool.

Gorgeous and scenic climb!

One of the most beautiful trails I've been on!

this trail is awesome. incredible views the whole way up and back!

No waterfall 2.5 miles in. We couldn't make it any further due to moose by the trail. That was pretty cool and scary. Glad we abided by the safety rule of dogs on leashes to avoid the running up to the moose!

Beautiful trail, but we had to head back before we hit the lake... It was drizzling the whole time and then we headed back due to hail.
HEADS UP: a ranger let us know the lake is drained 80% the end of each August because it's owned by surrounding properties; a water supply thing
And $10 day pass! Bring cash!!

This was a GORGEOUS hike. It states it's 4 miles on the app, however the way the rangers made us park, we had to start at Brainer Lake, then passed Long Lake then got to the trailhead of Isabelle Lake. In total, it was 7 miles. We were pretty exhausted afterwards, but mind you we were planning for a 4 mile hike. Well worth the extra miles. The two other lakes are amazing as well.

We were told by another hiker that Isabelle becomes dry this time of year, there wasn't much water left. It is best in July from what we were told.

I am giving this 4/5 stars because it was extremely breathtaking. We would definitely do it again, however I would say this is a "harder" easy trail because of the large jumps and steps needed to be taken on some rocks.

Also, if you park at Brainer Lake, you can use a national park pass for parking. Great for dogs!

Love this out-and-back hike for an introduction to the Indian Peaks Wilderness area. Our group included experienced hikers from 11-48 and an energetic 76-year old, who said "yes" to this because it was rated "Easy." I would call it easy well past Long Lake, until the last .75 mile on the way up to Lake Isabelle. That section begins a steep-ish climb with lots of rocks and a couple of water crossings, making it difficult for some. I wish we had brought her hiking poles, but thought they would be unnecessary. I'd say this is a great 3-hour family hike, unless you have someone who is not as sure footed, which will add up to an hour to the round trip. We saw lots of smiling backpackers heading home after the holiday weekend, and all said the hike was a great ending to their adventures.

Beautiful hike! If you go on a weekend, there may be a long wait for a parking spot.

Absolutely love this hike. Went in early August before the drain and it was very enjoyable. There were wildflowers and streams everywhere. Once I reached the lake, it was spilling over through the glacier and down the mountainside. It's $10 unless you have a National Parks Pass- so be prepared to pay one way or the other. Definitely worth it!

We got there about 3pm and were able to find a parking spot extremely close. Hate paying $10 but the views were worth it! Really easy trail. The water was dried up but still some left for great photos. Definitely suggest if you want an easy day hike.

8/27/16 - Great hike. I say get there late, 3pm and there's plenty of parking. I would have parked closer but it was my first time there and I wasn't sure I could. Three lakes are possible on this trail. I was going to do the loop back on the other side but heard someone yelling for an unknown reason so decided not too. Kinda wish I would have if there was more animals to see. Glacier lake is quite low but it's cool to walk the beach. Beautiful rock cliffs and waterfalls. Would be better earlier in the year, more water, but it was still great. Definitely would go back.

Got there about 9a today (a chilly Friday) and there were still 2 spots in the lot! What a gorgeous and easy hike, will definitely do it again

Great hike, majority of it is pretty flat through trees and meadows, with a couple moderate inclines towards the end. More people than this page led me to expect, but not too bad. We parked at the main Brainard lot right next to Brainard lake and walked over to the trailhead. Out and back from the car was 8 miles.

Saw a moose hiding in the trees, which seems to relatively common up there! Lake Isabelle is a pretty big alpine lake, with gorgeous clarity

Absolutely beautiful! Waterfalls, wild flowers, lakes can't get better than that. I would rate the hike as moderate not easy. Quite a scramble at the end over steep rocks. Hiking shoes a must.

We started the trail at 6pm in early August. Parking fee is $10 cash or check only. The hike was beautiful, and the tree coverage made for a cool hike. We took the loop around the other side of the lake and saw two moose and a woodpecker on the way back. It took us about two hours to hike up to the glazier and then finish off the loop and we had plenty of sunlight left despite a bit of a late start.