Lake Charles Trail

Lake Charles Trail is a 8.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Eagle, CO that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from July until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Eagle: Follow the Brush Creek Road, south of Eagle for 10 miles. Turn left onto the East Brush Creek Road, FDR 415 and drive another 6 miles. The last mile of FDR 415 is very narrow with some rocks. There is a parking lot just past the Fulford Cave campground. At the trailhead, there is an information board and a register box. A vault toilet is available for use in the campground.

Was a good day. A little windy and cool. But typical for this season. A long hike into some dense areas. A few areas were a little tough to climb, but not difficult. There are a couple of down trees blocking the path, but easily able to walk around it. You will be ascending in some areas and once you get to the lake it is all worth it.

Great trail,it is pretty difficult but worth it - lots of tree roots and rocks to navigate. We didn't see many people during the hike but there were a few other groups camping at the lake. Overall beautiful spot and a great place to camp.

We decided to backpack an overnighter at Mystic Island Lake, so our trip was a little longer than this route. My gps tracked almost exactly 6 miles all the way to where we made camp at Mystic Island Lake. Trailhead is in the middle of the Fulford Cave Campground. Scenery at the start of the trail is mostly aspen low growth forest, you'll pass by a few talus fields. First 2 miles are mostly flat, then comes a series of steep sections. Section between Lake Charles and Mystic Island Lake is mostly flat as well, so if you get all the way to Charles with ease, don't be afraid to keep pushing higher. Climbing parts can be misleading also, as you can't simply look uphill where the trail is taking you. Lots of water features along the way: creeks, waterfalls, natural wells, and obviously the lakes themselves. Overall a beautiful trail, and a wonderful place for an overnighter, especially during the Perseid meteor shower!

great one day hike

An absolutely beautiful hike. I started on a Friday night and stopped to camp for the evening just before the Holy Cross Wilderness boundary. The next morning I continued the trip to Lake Charles. It get quite steep at about mile 4, but nothing dangerous, and nothing overly rigorous. There are multiple places to camp near Lake Charles, and when I was there I only saw a handful of people, maybe 10 at the most. The alpine lakes are just breathtaking at all hours of the day. I will definitely do this hike again. The hike back was much easier and I made excellent time, leaving the campsite at 8:30 and arriving back at my car before 11 am.

We took the Lake Charles Trail down from Lake Charles to the Fulford Campgrouns as we backpacked the Ironedge Trail up to Lake Charles. It was raining, and had been raining for quite some time so the tail we very wet, muddy, and slick, I am pretty sure we each slipped at least once. That being said, it was BEAUTIFUL. It is a very steep descent down at the beginning for about 1.5-2.5 miles. It then become much more gradual. Everything was so green. It follows the river the entire way and it was just beautiful. Absolutely recommend. Hope to try it out when it is not so wet next time!

Just hiked the trail to Lake Charles (4.4 miles one way).
Started at 7:30 am; first 2.5 hours there wasn't much sun and the trail was wet and slippery (rocks, mud, and tree roots). Several small stream crossings.
The last mile or so, there were a lot of wildflowers (not as many during the first part of the hike).
No one at the lake when we got there (took 3hrs and 15min, but we did stop several times).
We did see several hikers coming up when we were coming down.
Coming down was easier as there was a lot more sun and trail had dried out in many places.
Overall, hike was nice and lake was beautiful. The trail follows East Brush Creek.
Lots of mosquitoes-bring bug spray!
It probably won't be on my annual hike list, but would do it again some time and would be a great place to camp.

I love this hike. It's fairly difficult but never dangerous. During spring runoff, there can be a lot of postholing in the pull to the lake. I've never seen more than 5-10 people on this hike.

Heavy usage. Way more people than expected. Do not go on a weekend.

I gave it a two only because we tried to hike this trail and it was awesome the first few miles until it became so snow-packed that we couldn't make it the last couple miles to the lake. Post-holing is a bitch! Nevertheless, I can't wait to try again in a few weeks and make it to the lake :-P