Jones Pass

Jones Pass is a 3.4 mile out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, CO. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for off road driving and cross country skiing.

off road driving

This is a beautiful trail... Was able to act like a kid climb rocks and there is a cute stream that follows...

off road driving

Great experience! There are sweeping mountain views galore, beautiful spruce forests, and old mines. We had no trouble navigating with our GMC Tahoe and saw many regular cars on the trail today.

Nice hike. Can't wait to come back with some skis!

It was beautiful mountain! But we came at wrong time because of rainy and 45 degree. Very cold bit we had so much fun...

Me and boyfriend visit this area at least a couple times a year. It's only a 20 min drive for us, we live in Clear Creek County. The 4x4 is not hard at all, I'd would say some passenger cars could make it up most days without any trouble but high clearance is always more ideal. The scenery is specatular and has a little bit of everything. Creekside, thick forest, and above timberline tundra. Wildflowers galore during the summer! When you get to the top, you are on the Continental Divide-One direction overlooks Silver Plume and Clear Creek, the other direction overlooks Grand County toward Winterpark. We have camped several times here, mostly in the fall for all the colors. I hear if you have a snowmobile, this is an excellent area for winter sports as such and amazing backcountry skiing. I have never not seen people on this road but I have never seen it overly crowded.

off road driving

Great trail, biggest complaint is it is short for how well maintained it is. Views are great as well. Doesn't compare to similar trails like Webster pass and hall valley as the views and water features are more abundant. Higher altitude, lot above tree line which means it could be windy and stormy fast, trail with a snow capped upper section for majority of the year. We were blocked by snow drifts in October.

Just got back from an afternoon of snowshoeing, Sun was out with just a slight breeze. Trail was well defined and several cars in the parking lot, but only passed half dozen people on the trail. Went to Echo lake first, little snow and was ice packed so left and went to Jones Pass.

I actually hiked this off Herman's Lake trail. Hiked approx. 2.5 miles to the split at tree line and take trail to left with sign saying Jones Pass 5 miles. This trail had magnificent views of the surrounding mountains; including Torrey's and Grays peak's. It goes up to 13,252 feet in one place before descending to JonesPass. This was approx. a 16 mile hike round trip . The total rt elevation gain was approx. 5500'. I only saw 2 hiker's and 7 mountain biker's on this day almost all in a 5 minute window of each other. The rest of the time was complete solitude. Awesome! Several stream crossing's to refill water pack.

off road driving

An easy 4 x 4 or ATV road -- Although even when I drove the road on my ATV, I could not drive over the pass due to a 20 foot snow bank. Beautiful wildflowers this trip. I was able to hike over the pass, find the benchmark on top, and get rewarded for the hike with an amazing view of the Divide.