Jenny Creek Trail to Yankee Doodle Lake

Jenny Creek Trail to Yankee Doodle Lake is a 9.8 mile out and back trail located near Nederland, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible from May until October.

off road driving

We started on FDR 149 Which is the Rollins Pass East side. This is pretty easy drive but more heavily traveled. There are many areas to view lakes and the town of Rollinsville. This road will also take you to the Needle Eye Tunnel. This road branches off into several other FS roads and on this day our adventure was to Jenny Creek. This was one we had wanted to conquer all summer and we are so glad we did. We were a little worried about this one because we heard it was tough and it was but it was a blast. Once off FDR 149 we branched off to the right onto FS 502. The trail was clearly marked. On the day we went the road was not very populated with people which we were very thankful for. This is a very narrow road with not many pull out spots. There were many obstacles in the road to maneuver and several low hanging trees that with the little jeep were not a huge challenge. This trail was beautiful. The dense forest was all around the trail. We stopped a few time and enjoyed the area. Once at Jenny Creek we were amazed. The first thing I said "you mean to tell me we get to drive through the creek" Kyle said, (with a big smile) "This is awesome". The creek wasn't flowing much but we also were traveling it in late August. Im not sure if I would want to venture on this trail in the early spring it could be flowing a lot more. We ran into a few spots where we crossed through the water and it wasn't too bad. We did run into an area on the trail that look like a huge mud hole where people have done some mad crazy mudding. We got out and looked around and it was crazy. I could stand in some areas and the walls of the mud holes were almost as tall as me and Im 5 foot. I think between both Kyle and I we really wanted to run right through it with the Jeep but being in the middle of nowhere and not having a winch or off-roadder pass all day. We took the lil jeep and maneuvered around the huge trenches. (Next time maybe) Over all this was a great trail for off-roading. While on the trail we did run across another FS marker for FS 808. Not knowing much about this road we didn't go onto it but after doing some research later we found it is part of the Jenny Creek loop. It is marked a the 1st creek stop as FS 808 and looks intimadating but after going through the FS 502. Im down. One more thing we did find some incredible back country camping spots. We will be back in the summer of 2013

Great trail in the winter for snowshoeing! Beautiful scenery!