Indian Creek and Steven's Gulch Loop Trail

Indian Creek and Steven's Gulch Loop Trail is a 19.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sedalia, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Indian Creek & Stevens Gulch Loop from Highway 67 West of Sedalia. The Indian Creek (trail 800) to Stevens Gulch Loop can be done via mountain bike, distance run, or hiking. On the bike, it is not a ride for beginners and is best clockwise. A KMZ file is available down on the right under "Other Resources" for Google Earth users and for export to other platforms. To get to the trailhead, take Highway 85 to Sedalia and go SW on Highway 67 (Manhart St). Follow Hwy 67 for 9.7 miles to the intersection with Rampart Range Rd. The lot is about 100 yards past Rampart Range Rd. on your right. Follow the directions outlined in the POIs bellow. The route is fairly easy to follow, especially if done with GPS. There are sections of the trail that have no cell phone coverage, so you will need offline access. If you've got some mountain biking experience, this scenic ride is well worth the effort. The trails can be busy on the weekends with horseback riding with far less traffic during the week. Stevens Gulch does not get as much traffic as trail 800. Max Alt: 7818 ft. Min Alt: 6334 ft.

It was a beautiful hike and not too hard. I would like map so I could better choose a route. we will go again for sure. it was worth the $6.

ABSOLUTELY Gorgeous place! But you HAVE to get mile markers, trail head markers, & maybe some maps! We are experienced on the trail, but were lost for 4 hours. We had to double back & I am happy I was somewhere so beautiful- but this was the most poorly marked trail I have been on. Someone (fellow hiker/biker?) had spray painted a few arrows in the dirt to serve as guide & other areas other hikers put rock piles or beer bottles to mark the correct path. I have never been somewhere that didn't have a map at each trail head. Please mark this beautiful space to make it safer & easier to navigate!

I really enjoyed this hike! The weather was nice and no one was bothered by my dogs. There were not many people out which was nice - it felt like the trail was just for me and my husband. There is a $6 fee to hike though, so make sure you bring cash! We will definitely be back!

This trail is closed to civilians.

I am rating this trail a 4 ONLY because I didn't finish it (reason dog).
today was supposed to be a fairly hot day (90's) s I decided to pick a trail that appeared to be pretty shaded. I believe this to be a fairly lightly used trail during the week. I arrived at 8am and was the only person there. it was only when I hit the trail fork at Ringtail that I met my first mountain biker. overall, only saw 3 people on this trail.
this trail is a moderate incline at first. it's a nice steady incline, though, and very beautiful! I loved the aspens and flowers.
when we reached the fork at the top it took a second to figure out that the trail continued to the Left. downhill all from there.
I unfortunately had to turn back because my pupper decided that she'd had enough and it was too hot so I only got about 4 miles in. I will be doing this trail again (maybe overnight camp too!).
I would recommend this on a hot day as its pretty shaded and a beautiful view.

Last time I was here the trail was in horrible condition, and it was extremely busy on a weekday. Not a horrible trail, but the scenery is sub par compared to what else you could explore in this area.

Have ran this trail multiple times this spring. A lot of the trail is shaded so there has been snow cover in the low points. Ran this whole loop and enjoyed it a lot. Not a lot of high overlook points but still great none the less. The elevation gain is quite manageable coming out to around 3k by my watch.

The description states this trail is used for hiking and mountain biking, but this trail is also a very popular horseback riding destination as well. The Indian Creek trail even has designated camp sites for horseback riding. Very beautiful ride. Top of my list.

Took Bear Creek trail; nice, mellow hike lined with wild raspberries, strawberries, and medicinal herbs.

Admittedly, we only biked part of this trail so I can't speak for all of it but we left from the car park closer to Denver (not the one with toilets) and followed the fire trail for about 2.4km when we came to a 5 way intersection. Neither of us were feeling overly energetic so we took the one on the left which was a single track. It was reasonably fun and reasonably technical. I didn't like the sneaky little stumps that popped up fairly often and the track was quite narrow in parts so my husband's pedals were catching tree stumps. It brought us out at the lower car park so we had to follow the road back to the upper car park. That loop was a total of 5.5km and took us an hour. Overall it was ok but I'd prefer something with less stumps.

nice trail. easy to get to. not crowded. there is a $6 park fee. not very scenic

I have not figured out how All Trails is rating these trails. This trail is rated as moderate, and should be rated as difficult and technical. The trail is a solid 15 miles with 10,600+ vertical feet of total elevation gain. The trail is not very well marked, and is full of ruts, roots and rocks. There are wonderful downhill sections with tall grass and swooping hills to ride, but for the most part the trail is continuously uphill (how is this possible?). We started on the Indian Creek Trailhead and climbed 1.5 miles to the first trail intersection (again not marked well with where to go), and ended the trail climbing out of a valley back to the parking lot. The only thing we could do at all intersections was to keep turning left (counter clockwise). I recommend riding through the west-end of the campgrounds for horses and do the loop with dropping down the valley to start and finish dropping back into the Indian Creek campground parking lot (clockwise). Hint: Better pack your lunch and bring extra water!

Horseback riding. ( Not offered in Activity pull down menu)

Good parking for large trailers. Trails are nicely
maintained- but not marked very well, so take a map.
Some of the trails have brush growing up and into them and are
used by hikers and bicycles, so make sure your equine is ready
for surprises around blind corners. Hikers and bikers are "required"
to yield to horseback traffic, but don't always adhere to this.
It is a beautiful area to ride, your animals need to be in pretty good
condition as much ot the trail is uphill. Not very rocky, so shoes shouldn't
be necessary.

Nice area for overnight horse camping with pens.

Be sure to pay for your parking/entry upon arrival.

My kids (6, 4 & 2) and I really enjoyed this trail. There were some cut and dead trees, parts of the trail was slippery for the kids, and we did have to step around horse poop. However, the forest was nice and shady almost the entire trail and we enjoyed the scenery. We will definitely be using this trail more often.

Not a very good hike today. Lots of cut down trees and horse shit all over ....