Ice Lake Basin Trail

Ice Lake Basin Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Silverton, CO that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Ice Lakes trail has two common destinations, lower and upper. The upper basin is surrounded by awesome peaks. Vermillion, Fuller, Pilot knob and Golden Horn are climbed from this basin. Amazing blue/green lakes, late season wildflowers, moderately strenuous hike to creekfalls and waterfalls too.

Beautiful trail. Was definitely worth the effort. Probably the most beautiful trail I've ever done. We also hiked to Island lake which was also amazing. If you hike to Island Lake be prepared for a tough hike, was a bit dangerous in a few spots. My wife and I hiked around the whole lake, even though there is no trail around Island lake. Will try to hike to Fuller Lake next time around.

Amazing !! So worth it

Climbing straight up, pretty strenuous, beautiful lakes at the top. Amazingly blue.

Hard as a motha', but worth it in the end.

This was such a beautiful hike. There were flowing streams, crisp waterfalls, and steep terrain. I do think that the distance is off. I wore a tracker and we had traveled 2.7 miles by the time we arrived to the first lake, which is not the beautiful blue lakes. Then we trekked another 1.5 miles to get to the coral blue lake and there were more beyond that. So the hike out took almost 3 hours, with a snack break. The hike back took 2hours .

This is my favorite hike yet. Absolutely stunning. Very hard but worth every step. Definitely visit Island Lake as well.

Beautiful trail but very hard. Elevation gain and high altitude make it a challenge. Pack weight was around 55lbs.

Amazing views and would recommend going to island lake.

This is one of my favorite hikes. Recommend doing this hike in June or July in order to see the endless sea of spectacular wildflowers. As with all hikes or backpacking be prepared for sudden shifts in weather. The first time we packed this one it rained 14 hours straight.

I took me 1 hour to get from the parking lot to ice Lake my 1st time there jogging and power walking and 50 mins from ice lake to island lake and back down, got it on my sports tracker, Beast Mode, so freaking unreal, so lucky to do it after work and live so close enough to it, for sure will be doing it more.

My group hiked this in September. They also said the trailhead sign stating total miles was lower than it seemed. It was a difficult hike and there was a spot that was very steep and was at a high elevation which made it feel strenuous. Of course, very beautiful!

it's a spiritual journey through the San Juan mountains. definitely an all day hyke. Beautiful scenery, truly breathtaking, even though I live here, it never gets old.

Lots of waterfalls be sure to check out all the side trails with views and old mine ruins. it can be done as a loop to island lake. 3.6 miles each way 7.5 round trip.

Absolutely stunning views. We tracked our hike with our phones and Apple Watch, it was 4 miles from the parking lot to Ice Lake, one way. I'm not sure why the trailhead map says 2.64 miles, but it's not accurate. The last 3/4 mile is the hardest, which is also due to the elevation, but it's really pretty. In my opinion, the views on the hike were better than the lake itself. Overall, great hike, but not for the faint of heart (literally and figuratively)!