Ice Lake Basin Trail

Ice Lake Basin Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Silverton, CO that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

snowboarding

Ice Lakes trail has two common destinations, lower and upper. The upper basin is surrounded by awesome peaks. Vermillion, Fuller, Pilot knob and Golden Horn are climbed from this basin. Amazing blue/green lakes, late season wildflowers, moderately strenuous hike to creekfalls and waterfalls too.

Absolutely stunning views. We tracked our hike with our phones and Apple Watch, it was 4 miles from the parking lot to Ice Lake, one way. I'm not sure why the trailhead map says 2.64 miles, but it's not accurate. The last 3/4 mile is the hardest, which is also due to the elevation, but it's really pretty. In my opinion, the views on the hike were better than the lake itself. Overall, great hike, but not for the faint of heart (literally and figuratively)!

Absolutely amazing hike!!! Pretty difficult coming from sea-level but WELL worth the challenge of hiking this trail.

unreal hike. was not prepared for the altitude but made it eventually. had my wife and 3 kids with me. All made it fine. We hauled our gear up and spent the night. totally worth it.

incredible hike, although a little crowned and dogs are allowed

We hiked this trail on July 30. Beautiful. We got an early start but were still overwhelmed by the number of people on the trail. Quit counting at 100 and it felt crowded at times. Parking lot was overflowing onto the main road upon our return to the TH. Hard to get good photos of the lake without some of our other hiking "friends" in the picture. Bring the bug spray.

Beautiful! I had never seen a view as spectacular as Ice Lake, I will return as many times as I can. Make sure to apply sunscreen and having waterproof shoes wouldn't be a bad idea.

hiking here is moderate but continuous uphill until the meadow. lots of camping in the meadow so do t worry about not finding a spot. We camped at ice lake itself and had it totally to ourselves. this is a must see for anyone coming to this region.

This is one of my favorite trails in the United States. In July, the wild flowers are gorgeous. It's steep, but the views are pretty spectacular and the hike isn't that long. Be prepared for rain and cooler temperatures. Many people day hike, but we camped for two nights and picked off Fuller Peak the second day.

Beautiful flowers in late July. Start early, avoid the crowds and flies!

This trail is amazing! Go early to beat the storms. It's a lot of uphill and there were a few creek crossings which were kinda tricky with our 2 kiddos, but the views are so worth the climb. I couldn't believe how many wildflowers were in the meadow! We got to Ice Lake, took a quick break, and then continued on a bit further to Island Lake. Did I mention the views are incredible? If you take your kids, just be ready to help them through some parts of the trail. Also, layer on the sunscreen and bug spray and pack some rain gear just in case!

Probably one of my hardest hikes I have done, but also one of the most amazing!! Ice Lake is the most amazing lake! It is the same color as a blue raspberry jolly rancher!! Beautiful!!

Possibly my favorite hike in Colorado. I camped at Kendall campground the night before since the S. Mineral Campground has a fee. I started at sunrise and the trail was not crowded. Insanely *insanely* pretty.

Best hike to date! We hiked this trail yesterday, we aren't in shape and it was tough. It took us just under 7 hours. We started at 6:45am, it was chilly but great hiking weather the entire day. Even though this was the hardest hike I've done it was well worth it. Just when we were starting to get discouraged we ended up in a meadow of beautiful wild flowers. We had to cross a couple of tricky creeks (we parked at south mineral campground). The last part of the hike was hard, but when we saw ice lake we were so relieved. It was SO worth the hike and hard work. We didn't have enough energy to go to island lake but two hikers we kept meeting up with told us it was worth the extra 30 min hike. The only bad thing was the bugs. I ended up with a ton of bites even though we sprayed twice (just on the way down). It was beautiful and worth the hard work!!!!! Do your research, you'll need lots of water, snacks, and watch out for the weather.

This is one of the nicest hikes I've done in Colorado. The road up is good, the trail is easy to follow. There is one tricky stream crossing near the top but it's manageable. definitely recommend.

Amazing hike.

Best in CO! Tough hike though... All uphill, but worth it. When you're down though, crack open a cold one bc you put in some work! I should add it's more like 8-9 miles, nowhere near 6.

The hike was spectacular! Allow about five and a half hours to do this at a leisurely rate. Make sure to take plenty of food and water, if you have a water filtration system then skip on bringing water as there are tons of streams. Not too crowded on the Thursday after the 4th of July. I could see this climb being tough if you're not used to doing long hikes, even if you are then the elevation will make it a tad bit more challenging! Bring sunscreen as there is a chance that there won't be many clouds and you'll regret it later haha. Total worth the hike, make sure to visit the ice island, it's only about 35 minutes further from the second lake.

Hiked /camped Fourth of July weekend. Despite the crowds, this hike was amazing. The views were spectacular. Coming from Phoenix, the elevation kicked our butts quite a bit. Be sure to wear waterproof shoes to cross the creek!!