Ice Lake Basin Trail

Ice Lake Basin Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Silverton, CO that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

snowboarding

Ice Lakes trail has two common destinations, lower and upper. The upper basin is surrounded by awesome peaks. Vermillion, Fuller, Pilot knob and Golden Horn are climbed from this basin. Amazing blue/green lakes, late season wildflowers, moderately strenuous hike to creekfalls and waterfalls too.

This is one of my favorite hikes. Recommend doing this hike in June or July in order to see the endless sea of spectacular wildflowers. As with all hikes or backpacking be prepared for sudden shifts in weather. The first time we packed this one it rained 14 hours straight.

I took me 1 hour to get from the parking lot to ice Lake my 1st time there jogging and power walking and 50 mins from ice lake to island lake and back down, got it on my sports tracker, Beast Mode, so freaking unreal, so lucky to do it after work and live so close enough to it, for sure will be doing it more.

My group hiked this in September. They also said the trailhead sign stating total miles was lower than it seemed. It was a difficult hike and there was a spot that was very steep and was at a high elevation which made it feel strenuous. Of course, very beautiful!

it's a spiritual journey through the San Juan mountains. definitely an all day hyke. Beautiful scenery, truly breathtaking, even though I live here, it never gets old.

Lots of waterfalls be sure to check out all the side trails with views and old mine ruins. it can be done as a loop to island lake. 3.6 miles each way 7.5 round trip.

Absolutely stunning views. We tracked our hike with our phones and Apple Watch, it was 4 miles from the parking lot to Ice Lake, one way. I'm not sure why the trailhead map says 2.64 miles, but it's not accurate. The last 3/4 mile is the hardest, which is also due to the elevation, but it's really pretty. In my opinion, the views on the hike were better than the lake itself. Overall, great hike, but not for the faint of heart (literally and figuratively)!

Absolutely amazing hike!!! Pretty difficult coming from sea-level but WELL worth the challenge of hiking this trail.

unreal hike. was not prepared for the altitude but made it eventually. had my wife and 3 kids with me. All made it fine. We hauled our gear up and spent the night. totally worth it.

incredible hike, although a little crowned and dogs are allowed

We hiked this trail on July 30. Beautiful. We got an early start but were still overwhelmed by the number of people on the trail. Quit counting at 100 and it felt crowded at times. Parking lot was overflowing onto the main road upon our return to the TH. Hard to get good photos of the lake without some of our other hiking "friends" in the picture. Bring the bug spray.

Beautiful! I had never seen a view as spectacular as Ice Lake, I will return as many times as I can. Make sure to apply sunscreen and having waterproof shoes wouldn't be a bad idea.

hiking here is moderate but continuous uphill until the meadow. lots of camping in the meadow so do t worry about not finding a spot. We camped at ice lake itself and had it totally to ourselves. this is a must see for anyone coming to this region.

This is one of my favorite trails in the United States. In July, the wild flowers are gorgeous. It's steep, but the views are pretty spectacular and the hike isn't that long. Be prepared for rain and cooler temperatures. Many people day hike, but we camped for two nights and picked off Fuller Peak the second day.

Beautiful flowers in late July. Start early, avoid the crowds and flies!

This trail is amazing! Go early to beat the storms. It's a lot of uphill and there were a few creek crossings which were kinda tricky with our 2 kiddos, but the views are so worth the climb. I couldn't believe how many wildflowers were in the meadow! We got to Ice Lake, took a quick break, and then continued on a bit further to Island Lake. Did I mention the views are incredible? If you take your kids, just be ready to help them through some parts of the trail. Also, layer on the sunscreen and bug spray and pack some rain gear just in case!

Probably one of my hardest hikes I have done, but also one of the most amazing!! Ice Lake is the most amazing lake! It is the same color as a blue raspberry jolly rancher!! Beautiful!!