Ice Lake Basin Trail

Ice Lake Basin Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Silverton, CO that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

snowboarding

Ice Lakes trail has two common destinations, lower and upper. The upper basin is surrounded by awesome peaks. Vermillion, Fuller, Pilot knob and Golden Horn are climbed from this basin. Amazing blue/green lakes, late season wildflowers, moderately strenuous hike to creekfalls and waterfalls too.

Best hike to date! We hiked this trail yesterday, we aren't in shape and it was tough. It took us just under 7 hours. We started at 6:45am, it was chilly but great hiking weather the entire day. Even though this was the hardest hike I've done it was well worth it. Just when we were starting to get discouraged we ended up in a meadow of beautiful wild flowers. We had to cross a couple of tricky creeks (we parked at south mineral campground). The last part of the hike was hard, but when we saw ice lake we were so relieved. It was SO worth the hike and hard work. We didn't have enough energy to go to island lake but two hikers we kept meeting up with told us it was worth the extra 30 min hike. The only bad thing was the bugs. I ended up with a ton of bites even though we sprayed twice (just on the way down). It was beautiful and worth the hard work!!!!! Do your research, you'll need lots of water, snacks, and watch out for the weather.

This is one of the nicest hikes I've done in Colorado. The road up is good, the trail is easy to follow. There is one tricky stream crossing near the top but it's manageable. definitely recommend.

Amazing hike.

Best in CO! Tough hike though... All uphill, but worth it. When you're down though, crack open a cold one bc you put in some work! I should add it's more like 8-9 miles, nowhere near 6.

The hike was spectacular! Allow about five and a half hours to do this at a leisurely rate. Make sure to take plenty of food and water, if you have a water filtration system then skip on bringing water as there are tons of streams. Not too crowded on the Thursday after the 4th of July. I could see this climb being tough if you're not used to doing long hikes, even if you are then the elevation will make it a tad bit more challenging! Bring sunscreen as there is a chance that there won't be many clouds and you'll regret it later haha. Total worth the hike, make sure to visit the ice island, it's only about 35 minutes further from the second lake.

Hiked /camped Fourth of July weekend. Despite the crowds, this hike was amazing. The views were spectacular. Coming from Phoenix, the elevation kicked our butts quite a bit. Be sure to wear waterproof shoes to cross the creek!!

I still consider this my favorite hike of all time. So many spectacular views. Walking through flower fields, bright blue water lakes, what more could you ask for!? Colorado at its finest!

Great hike, I think it's more like 8 miles all the way to the top, but it was great. Experienced all 4 seasons in 6 hours. Couple of spots were a little edgy. The snow bridge is melting, glad it held. Wonderful area to hike in, August would be perfect.

Beautiful trail and area. I would call the trail moderate rather than hard, despite the elevation gain. The upper portion still has large patches of snow, and around the lakes, it is nearly all snow covered. Definitely wear supportive water proof shoes, and gaiters would be good. July and August are probably the ideal times for this trail.

A lot of snow on the top half of the trail. Gaiters were nice to have. Beautiful hike.

Is there snow or it dry up? I'm going next week to hike here ???

Loved this trail! surrounded by rockies. the glacier water was freezing! Went with Lyons.

Definately one of the hardest hikes I've done, but the most rewarding. We ran across locals who do it once a week. We made it to Ice Lake in about 3-4 hours, and back down in a little over 2 hours. You'll feel it in your lungs before you feel it in your legs. This hike offers some of the most beautiful scenery including a waterfall shortly into the hike and then again if you look back over middle basin once you make the final climb to Ice Lake. But even those don't compare to how you'll feel when you reach the clear blue water. We stayed by the water for awhile and watched it change different shades of blue depending on what the sun/clouds were doing. Everyone at the lake was friendly and we threw balls into the water for the dogs to fetch. I hiked this in September of 2015 and it was 30 degrees or so. But the hike had us peeling our layers off and by the end we were in tank tops as it was sunny and hot. I'd definately recommend doing this when you know it'll be sunny to get the full effect of the lake. An overcast sky would dull it. If you reach Ice Lake and want another challenge...continue hiking up to the other lakes.

I've been wanting to do this hike for several years and finally did it in late September! It's a serious trek up but you're greeted with a couple nice stream crossings and the lakes are outstanding. The water is incredibly colorful!

This was a beautiful hike with lovely fall colors! The switchbacks can be a bit brutal, especially if you're not used to the altitude but totally worth it! Be sure not to miss the small wooden sign pointing left for the Ice Lakes trail in the beginning of the hike :P

Wow! This hike will definitely test you but the view at the top is worth it.

This was amazing! Great end to a tough hike! Bring lots of water and prepare to stop a lot to adjust to the altitude if you are not used to it! Pretty long hike recommend starting very early - like before 9am!!! BUT when you get to the end where all the lakes are, it is all worth it!!!