Hunts Lake Trail

Hunts Lake Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salida, CO that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

off road driving

Wonderful hike with a steep but not rocky first .5 miles to Boss Lake with fantastic views of the Mountains and the Valley up to Hunt Lake. The sound of rushing water, clear air, and bright green forest. Fun 4x4 drive to get to Boss Lake Trail Head, or you can park at the snow mobile shop and walk the 1.1 miles to the Boss Lake TH. From the Boss Lake TH you hike about 1.2 miles first half is steep but not rocky. Boss lake is big and nice but keep going the view of Hunt Lake is wonderful. The Elevation makes you feel like you are on top of the world. Hunt lake is located below the Continental Divide north of the summit of Monarch Pass. Boss Lake is also located in close proximity to Hunt lake. Both of these lakes are beautiful! This area is great for an overnight backpack trip and some relaxing time spent at a couple of high-elevation lakes. Fishing is limited to "catch and release" in order to allow for the recovery of the endangered Greenback Cutthroat trout. Flies and Lures only. Hunt Lake is covered in heavy snow until late May or early June.

Bridge at beginning of trail is " out". Actually one horizontal log and its rail remains. I thought of trying to use that, but knew my dog would try to follow me and might fall off the log the 4+ feet from the log to the creek. Walked back to car and got water shoes. Had I known the bridge was out I could have brought water shoes to start with. Just a thought if you are hiking with your dog or small child.
Rest of hike was good. Thunder started at level of Hunt Lake just after noon.

Great hike. I parked at the snowmobile shop and hiked up to the trailhead. A couple fairly steep but short stretches on the initial stretch to Boss. Beautiful views of the valley from Boss Lake and watched some people fish for a bit. I kept going up to Hunt and nobody was up there. Very peaceful and the colors up there are remarkable. Dog had a nice cool down in the lake and we headed back. May try to camp it next time.

Hiked with my daughter this afternoon. A great hike and beautiful views!

This hike is similar to Waterdog Lakes in difficulty and beauty. Great hike! However, I had the luxury of skipping the first mile to the Boss Lake trailhead in a high clearance (lifted) SUV. I wouldn't take this road in a standard SUV or pickup...but you'll figure that out in the first 100 yards or so from the snowmobile shop when you bottom out. I'd recommend skipping the first mile if you are able. If not, just add 2.2 miles to the listed distance for this hike. Hunt Lake was more beautiful than Boss Lake. You can apparently drive all the way to Boss Lake using a different 4WD road not shown on AllTrails (we saw a few vehicles going fishing that had driven right up to the lake shore). After another mile up to Hunt Lake, the single track trail keeps going beyond (to Southwest) to the Continental Divide Trail that continues above Waterdog Lakes to Monarch. It looks like there is another alpine lake around 12,000ft., but I turned around just too soon to find it. Next time!

It was very steep at times so might not be great for children, but 4x4-dog did great!
Many drove up the trail to Boss Lake and some locals had their ATVs up there. We hiked the entire way from the snowmobile shop. It was rough at times but what a view! Barely saw anyone up at the lake. Had it to ourselves at night. Cold lake was great for dog. Nice breeze, lots of shade, relaxing sound of water, amazing starts at night.

Absolutely perfect. Parked by the snow mobile store and walked in. Could have driven. The extra mile was easy, but up hill. The trail itself was fun. Technical at times, but so worth it once we arrived at Boss Lake. Trail to Hunts Lake was closed. Great hike overall.

snows mostly down lakes are still frozenish up though totaly worth it

still snow packed, but a great hike nevertheless

this climb was steep, but completely worth the effort. bring good boots and don't forget the water.

The road is way to0 rough for a passenger car, so we parked our car behind the snowmobile shop off of 50 and hiked up to the trailhead which added another 1 mile each way with a pretty good elevation. We made it to Boss Lake and the views are spectacular. Bad weather chased us back before we could make it to Hunt Lake. Nice, well marked trail with good views at the end!

This hike was very enjoyable. Well marked, well maintained and just perfect for a beginner like myself. The views were breathtaking.

This was a fantastic day hike and it would be a great place to backpack. This review is just to Hunt Lake passing Boss Lake but the trail continues west and then sound and you can cross the Continental Divide. Boss Lake is rimmed with the pointy shale rock with an amazing view of the valley. The hike has a diverse range of scenery. We were the only people there that day but the trail is not overgrown. I would recommend this to anyone in the area or wanting a great day hike.