Horsethief Falls Trail

Horsethief Falls Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Divide, CO that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Colorado Springs: From Colorado Springs, take Highway 24, through Woodland Park, toDivide. Turn south on Highway 67 and drive 8 miles until you see a closed tunnel.Parking is available on the other side of the closed tunnel.

I took my 10 month old baby and wife on this hike. Carrying the baby in her carrier over the first half mile of trail was enough to get me breathing harder. We enjoyed the waterfalls draped with charming icicles. Our favorite view however, came from the meadow about 1/2 mile before the falls.

Nice trail. The first part is a relatively steep and gravely incline for about .5 miles, then the trail continues mostly flat to the waterfall. A friend and I intended to camp on the route to Devil's playground/Crags, which we did. There were two nice campgrounds between the fork in the waterfall trail and the Crags/Devil's Playground trail with fire pits and ample sources of water. With the Aspens changing color it was a pretty outing, but the trail is pretty heavily trafficked with day trip folks. I probably wouldn't do a multi-day trip here again, but it is a great day trip trail for families and those with dogs.

Worthwhile little stretch-your-legs walk. My husband wore the baby and got a good workout during the first half, then was grateful for the more mellow angle up to the falls. The trail is wide, well-signed, and shaded and the falls were running surprisingly well this late in the summer. Glad we stopped.

Nice hike to waterfall, if you have time head up to pancake rock, amazing view.

Great hike. First part is steep, but it flattens out nicely with some great walks through the woods. Reaching the falls was a nice hike.

steep for the first half mile, after that it flattens out some until you get to the falls.

very beautiful hike, we paired it with the pancake rocks for a 7 Mike day hike with 3 kids. this is certainly worth the hike!

Nice, easy trail. It starts out just a little steep but then levels out about .75 miles into it. Pretty quick hike.

Enjoyed this hike, fairly easy. Nice views and the waterfall was lovely.

Easy hike. Pretty waterfall by any standard. Lots of fir trees en route to falls.

Nice hike as we've done it a few times with our 7 yr old daughter.

Very enjoyable trail. Beautiful views, gorgeous forest.

Nice, short trail. I did a morning hike and brought my breakfast with me - nothing beats breakfast while sitting near the edge of a waterfall.
I would definitely bring out-of-town friends/family here, I didn't think it was difficult at all (I'd probably put it somewhere between easy and moderate). The beginning looks daunting but it wasn't that difficult and it doesn't stay steep for long. And the view is totally worth it!

A great short little hike along the creek. Perfect addition to nearby Pancake Rocks.

We loved this. Right when you park there's an old mining tunnel and across the highway has some beautiful mountain views. The first section is a bit of an uphill but then flattens out. This trail forks into horse thief falls and pancake rock. Once you hit the fork, the falls are about half a mile while the Rock is 2 miles.

Very good hike. My 5 yr old loved it. It starts a little steep but eases out after about a mile.

great little hike

Great time of year for this trail. Still small pockets of snow of the ground but the trail its self was in good condition. First section of the trail is steep but levels out further up. Falls at the end were amazing.

Easy, short, and beautiful! Great regular hike