Horseshoe Trail to Frazer Meadow

Horseshoe Trail to Frazer Meadow is a 4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Golden, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We hiked this trail on 9/25/16, and the aspens and colors were absolutely amazing. We went with the dog, who did this hike no problem. The only drawback of this hike was that it was very crowded, but we knew it would be, because of the fall colors and because it was a weekend.

I love this trail! It's a must for me in fall and spring. My pup and I hiked this trail today beginning at 745/8 and we hardly saw anyone until our way down - which is always a plus and impossible to find on a Saturday!! The beginning of the hike starts with rocky inclines but after a give or take mile it really tapers off so keep going. The meadow is gorgeous and the aspens have all changed making it a picture perfect spot. To make this hike much longer (and a good bit harder) hike past the meadow through to the other edge of the park then up to panorama point via mule deer/coyote. We did this today as well and while it's not at all as pretty or easy a trek as the trail listed here it is a good workout that adds on a few hours if you're looking for a "true" half day hike. Caution though, I wouldn't recommend going through this trail to panorama with little kids as once you get on mule deer/coyote it's open to mountain bikers. Also word to the wise, the visitor center and pay booth weren't open when we arrived so we had to grab a pass with an envelope. Luckily I had the $7 in cash but remember this if you're planning to go early like I did. Also, dogs have to be on leash and I advise you to follow that rule but it's perfectly okay to snap them off for quick photos like I did :)

There are a few parking areas before the trail head. We parked at one that started at bear paw trail and lead to horseshoe trail about .25 miles in. The trails are clearly marked and often. The inclines are not steep perfect for dogs and children. The view of the meadow with all the fall colors in beautiful!

Really wonderful hike. It wasn't too sudden of an incline, but be sure to pace yourself if you're still working your way up the hiking more often. The visitors center was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful, the horseshoe trail parking was full so I parked down the road a bit and walked to the trailhead, and there were plenty of places to stop and rest up against a rock for a moment. It was almost like I could peacefully stroll up the mountain and enjoy the weather, sounds of nature, and scenery. Definitely recommend it!

This is a fee trail. It's in Golden Gate Canyon state park, you can buy a day pass for $7 at the visitor center 1/4 mile prior to the trailhead.
Trailhead had a small parking lot and restrooms.
Trail was well maintained and clearly marked, no guessing if we were on the right trail (except for one point halfway through the loop).
I loved this trail, it was beautiful! Some varied scenery- starts in the forest, breaks out into some lovely wildflower spotted meadow hiking, some nice views of the surrounding mountains at points. There was even an old abandoned homestead. Really just beautiful and surprisingly lush!
The trail is also dog friendly

Love the terrain and the flora and fauna on this trail. Aspens, ground cover, wild flowers, butterflies, birds, boulder formations, a beautiful babbling brook, and some abandoned cabins on the way. Shady and lovely and green. Always something new to see around every corner.

Four hike-in campsites (fires always prohibited) that are spaced nice and far from one another - there's also a bear pole for hanging your food stuffs if you need.

- 6/23/2016

Beautiful meadow with lilies and golden banner mid-June. Aspens are probably great in the fall.

Very pretty and quite. The trail was shaded for the most part which was perfect for our little kiddos on a 92° day. Parking for this trail is limited so an early arrival is advised.

Fairly easy hike with minimal elevation gain. Much of the hike is through shaded forest, making it an ideal hike for hot summer days.

Nothing special

Awesome hike! Still very muddy in parts with all of the snow melt and there is still quite a bit of snow closer to the end and Frazer meadow.

Good Trail, follows a little creek. Didn't follow it the entire way because I hooked onto Black Bear Trail.

Started this trail around 9 on a clear winter's day and there was only 1 other car in the parking lot. Wanted an easier trail to test out our new snowshoes, and there was just enough hardpacked icy snow to warrant using them. The creek that runs along the start of the trail was mostly frozen but still flowing, providing a soundtrack to our hike. Looking behind you on the trail toward the southeast gives you a nice view of Ralston Roost and Centralia Mountain. Once you reach Frazer Meadow you have a full view of Tremont Mountain to your west.