Horseshoe Lake Trail

Horseshoe Lake Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Parshall, CO that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until September.

Directions from Granby: Travel west on Highway 40 approximately 14 miles to County Road 3/Forest Road 139. Travel south on Road 3/139 approximately 17 miles, passing Williams Fork Reservoir, to Forest Road 138. Go south on 138 approximately 5 miles to Kinney Creek Road/Forest Road 141. Go northeast on Rd. 141 about 4 miles to the Kinney Creek Trailhead. Hike the Kinney Creek Trail, #22, to the Horseshoe Lake Trail, just beyond the Wilderness boundary.

The hike ends up being 8 plus miles round trip 1788’ elevation gain. It's an awesome hike and there is some great camping around the lake!

I was unable to find the trail head as the directions on this app took me to a locked gate on private property. It would be nice if this trail was on the map or even if the point on the map they give was at the beginning or end of the trail instead of just being somewhere within the same few square miles of the trail. The people on here who hiked this must have already known where the trail head was and found it on this app afterwards. While looking for a different way to get close to the point they give, I found a "Horseshoe Trail" which is definitely not this trail but was an excellent hike and is not on this app nor any map I have looked at. I saved a recorded hike on my profile. It's very easy to get to just make sure you are looking at the right map, I saved the hike out and return hike separately.

I can't help but compare this to the first time I hiked this trail in 1984 as part of the middle park dist. forest service trail crew, many sad changes since those days, very few dead trees back then, always deserted. I was surprised to see so many people camping along 302 on the drive to the trail head and the trail head parking full. (Its a small lot) Still spectacular, especially farther up. In 84 I saw the biggest cutthroat trout in my life in that lake, have not seen anything near the size of those days in the last few years up there.

Very wet on this recent visit, some muddy bogs bigger than I have experienced in the past and a couple downed trees crossing the trail.

Hiked 9/28/2014 - The trail is 8 miles round trip from the parking area of the Kinney Creek Trail. The trail is well maintained with only a few blowdowns at the time I hiked it. However there is potential for a lot more dead trees to fall. There are numerous small stream and spring crossings on the trail, eventually ending at Horseshoe Lake.