Herman Gulch Trail

Herman Gulch Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

skiing

Directions from Idaho Springs, Georgetown: Take exit 218 off of I-70. At the stop sign turn right and then turn right again and take the frontage road east to the parking area. The trail begins by the restrooms in the parking lot.

Beautiful hike, definitely need spikes to get up a good ways. Snowshoes are absolutely needed to do the entire hike! Go left when the trail splits if you're trying to make it without snowshoes. You can make it about 30/45 minutes in before you are start to really sink. Dogs loved it!

Gorgeous day. Stopped just short of Herman's Lake. Storm started to roll through pretty quickly so we decided to head back down.

Used micro spikes until the last mile. Started to punch through so we switched to snowshoes. Can wait to return for a summer hike.

Great hike I live really close to it. Never dissapoints

This is a pretty trail. A good one for my first time snow shoeing!!!

Such a beautiful lightly trafficked trail. Since no one is out there really, having your dog off leash was awesome. A place a dog can be a dog! Snow was great, and though the trail is not very clearly marked as far as the trail itself, if you look it up in advance, you will be fine! The trailhead is super easy to get to also!

Only made it a few miles in until we were making fresh tracks. Started post holeing deeper with snowshoes that we cared to so, we turned around. Beautiful hike though and our dog really enjoyed it.

There's a good foot or two of snow in in most areas, found a few thigh deep spots.

A couple inches of snow, best to bring both crampons AND snowshoes so you won't slide/posthole.

Gorgeous hike! Not too hard but gets the lungs working a bit. Very peaceful, only saw two people over the course of a few hours today.

Lake was frozen over but the hike up was nice. Variety of terrains from wooded to open fields. You get to see it all. Nice views as well. Not terribly strenuous but with snow on the trail you'll slide the whole way down. Less fun!

The way up definitely gets your legs burning and huffing and puffing a little. So beautiful and worth it get the the lake at the top

Amazing hike

Awe inspiring views. Trail gets very steep very fast. Still many inconsiderate jerks that let dogs off the leash.

The hike was quite beautiful. There was a lot of snow on the ground, so I had a hard time following the path (no tree trail markings). I hiked for an hour and 45 minutes and didn't make it to the lake.

This trail is so much harder than I would expect but still pretty doable. The view especially at the lake is breathtakingly beautiful!

I'm working my way through a guidebook, the top 30 hikes within an hour of Denver, and this is my favorite so far!! Beautiful views with minimal snow on the trail right now. Pics + more details here https://goo.gl/n0HkY0