Heizer Trail

Heizer Trail is a 6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cascade, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November.

Fairly steep switchbacks in a heavily wooded area. Near the top, some nice views down Hwy 24 and the Springs. Rock outcroppings also provide nice views of Pikes Peak Hwy.

If you want to put your heart and knees to the test...this is the trail for you. I'm not ready for this "hard" trail but finished it and proud of myself.

Lovely views and cool temps for a nice summer hike.

good trail with awesome views, will do again soon!

Good aerobic workout going up. So-so trail.

Challenging uphill trail, first 2.5 miles were switchbacks and fairly steep uphill, last mile through meadows with what could be spectacular views of pikes peak if they were not obstructed by trees. lots of wildflowers, stop and climb some of the rocks of the sides of the trail. We had 3 children who hike with us regularly, Age 5, 7, and 11. This was the most difficult hike we have taken them on, they all enjoyed it, but we're exhausted on the way back. encountered very few people on the trail even though it was 4th of July, drive past red rocks open space and parking was full out to the road by 8:30 am. Very rewarding hike, bring plenty of water. Only reason I did not give 5 stars is that the end of the trail is an underwhelming trail sign where it intersects Barr trail, no amazing view or geological formations, but overall was a great hike. According to my tracker was 7.3 miles out and back to parking area, 2k ft elevation gain, i burned 2200 calories.

This was one of my favorite all-time hikes. Had done Heizer a couple years back. Last year did Heizer to Barr and absolutely loved the ridgeline meadows, views of Pikes, Mt Manitou, Bottomless-Pit, and the entire trail that crossed the 4 ridgelines to Barr Trail, but didn't like the descent to Manitou on the busy, inclined obsessed Barr. Upon searching the topos, found this possible Loop back to the Heizer trailhead just south of Rocky Mtn off Barr that brings you to Longs Ranch Road an back to Cascade. Today I completed it; a great 14 mile trek! I few hundred yards of walking along Hwy24, mostly on the frontage road, so not bad at all toward a perfect loop.

Great trail. The first part of the trail is mostly so-so views of Colorado Springs. After you reach the top of the ridge you are rewarded with views of the of Mt. Manitou and Pikes Peak for the rest of the hike. Climb on the boulders at the top for better views. We walked past the #703 sign that is supposed to be the end of the trail and walked about 1/2 mile to the creek. Great place for a snack in the shade. :)

Good hike in the snow with awesome views!

Beautiful for hiking and running

Great trail conditions. Steep switchbacks begin hike, steady grade with little variance till top of ridge. Good view of WaldoCanyon burn scars. Parking not available but short 100yd walk from creekside parking to TH. Continues over ridge and down to meet Barr behind the Incline, wonderful thick pine, open aspen groves, and alpine meadow sections...enjoy!

Beautiful, well maintained, great views, definitely gets your heart rate up.

Did this yesterday morning. Challenging but not difficult. Don't let the gentle switchbacks in the beginning fool you. It gets steeper after the first 1/4 mile. The views of Pikes Peak at the 2 1/2 mile mark are stunning. Love this hike....will do it again.

I have hiked this numerous times in the past couple years and I love it! The view of Pikes Peak at the top is like no other. Very difficult hike but a great tune-up for 14ers.

I loved this trail. Yes, the switchbacks at the beginning were difficult, but the views the last mile before reaching Barr Trail were incredible. This may be my new favorite trail, but I always say that...

This trail should be marked challenging, and difficult!! After doing Devils playground, Cragg's and Raspberry mountain which are also all marked "moderate" there is NO WAY this is in the same category! It was a bear with lot and lots of gravel on relentlessly steep switchbacks. Going down sucked!

You can actually hook this up to Barr trail if you keep going past the lookout rocks and past the top. The trail gets faint at times especially at the creek crossings. You will cross a couple forest access roads, go through some of the old experimental forest and come out on Barr above where the incline hits it. From the Heizer trailhead in Cascade to the bottom of Barr is about 9 miles. Just going up and back on Heizer is a great alternative to the obnoxious incline crowds and prettier!

Very good hike, great elevation gain to get the blood flowing, beautiful rock formations and views of pikes peak. If you continue along this trail you can find your way to manitou reservoir which holds picturesque views of pikes peak but be careful this is federal land.

We ended up on this trail while going after a Geocache. I think we must have gone the wrong way since we ended up further away from the cache then when we started. So impressed with the views we kept climbing to the top of the trail. We only passed 2 mountain bikers on our way down so we basically had the trail to our self which was nice. It is pretty steep on the way up and coming down be careful not to slip. I had no idea this trail was even listed on here otherwise I would have made sure to check it out before hand. Overall I'm excited to go back and do this trail again and of course eventually log that cache we were seeking to find.