Hartman Rocks

Hartman Rocks is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gunnison, CO and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for mountain biking and is accessible from March until November.

The Hartman Rocks area offers high desert riding in a 6,000-acre basin. Funky granite formations, slickrock, sand, and sage add to this geological curiositys appeal. The Rocks, as Gunnison locals call it, is a mountain biking area replete with interconnecting trails. This route skirts the perimeter of the Hartman Rocks area and follows, in part, the Rage in the Sage course, Gunnisons annual mountain bike race. Although the trails throughout Hartman Rocks can get confusing, this shouldnt deter you from riding the Rocks, as efforts are continually being made to distinguish the right from the wrong way. Take notice of smaller rocks or sticks imbedded in the ground across a trail, signifying a wrong way. Observe branches lying parallel to a trail, seemingly pointing the right way. In general, look for natural reference points, which might otherwise seem out of place: a stacked pile of rocks (cairns), orange tape, painted arrows, or even arrows drawn in the sand. Terrain: Jeep road and singletrack. The trail rolls over hilly terrain and through sagebrush meadowland. Much of the terrain is hard-packed, but there are a number of rocky and sandy sections. Some sections go through riparian areas. The area offers seemingly endless miles of singletrack and dirt road that break off in every direction.

Great hiking.. Easy to moderate. Fun to mountain bike too

Hartmans is always great. Some of the best desert single track in CO.

If you don't like technical, stick w the greens and figure out which way is downhill for them because they are still very much a blast.

Hartman's is a great place to do almost every outdoor sport know. With cool caves and hiking trails and biking terrain, it is worth it to visit.

Great place for trail running

Rad trial. Great for mountain bikers and hikers alike. It's also perfect for dirt bikes and other assorted off-road vehicles. There are many camp sites as well

We loved hiking Hartman Rocks! Both my daughters (ages 3 1/2 and 2 years) did their fair share of climbing rocks and hiking up. No 13 miles lol but did a good fun chunk of the trail and thoroughly enjoyed it and the views!!

rock climbing

Did some free climbing with the kids. Lots of fun. Make sure your vehicle has some clearance, a few rough patch.

What a beautiful, endless area to explore! My dog had a great time running around, and we only saw a handful of people out the whole time. We were hiking, which got a little difficult in the snow at times, but not too bad. We saw a couple of people having a good time on skis. I hear the area is primarily used for mountain biking in summer, but there were signs for all kinds of permitted activities- hiking, skiing, snowmobiling, biking, horseback riding, etc. What a great area, and super accessible from town!

My Experience

Seeing as Hartman Rocks was just 2 miles from where I was based, I took my time getting ready.
It was a fantastic day to ride, clear blue sky on a crisp Friday morning.
I started riding at 10am, and there were just 2 cars in the lot, that was an excellent sign. I sent all in all just over 7 hours riding all the trails I came across.

START Jacks Trail Tailpipe The Ridge Top of the World Alonsos Behind the Rocks The Luge Buddy Bear Dirty Sock Dave Moes Enchanted Forest Skull Pass Aberdeen Loop Outback Back in then followed the dirt road back to Josies back to START

In the whole 7 hours that I was on the trails, I did not come across anyone, until the last hour, and then I came across 2 people on a moto trail bike, and 1 group of 3 bikers.

I enjoyed every minute of all the trails I did, and would definitely recommend Hartman Rocks.

Conclussion

Where do I start? I spent more than 7 hours on these fantastic trails, and it seemed like 2 hours. the combination of great weather, excellent trails, no people and stunning views, made my day a perfect one.
If like me, you love to bike in open rugged spaces with stunning views and fantastic singletracks, then Hartman Rocks is definitely gonna put a smile on your chops For me it was a perfect day, and I give Hartman Rocks a perfect 10/10

Other Info:

Traffic on Trail : 2 people on a motorbike and 1 group of 3 bikers
Wild Life : a snake
Scenery : Fantastic Scenery
Other : My experience might have been different if I did this on a weekend or after 4 o clock..

My Trail Rating : 10 / 10