Hanging Lake Trail

Hanging Lake Trail is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Glenwood Springs, CO that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

cave

Hanging Lake is near Glenwood Springs, Colorado is a fascinating place to see, high in the mountains, at the end of a hike along Deadhorse Creek and through rocky canyons. Hanging Lake located near Glenwood Springs, Colorado. The trail is great for hiking and normally takes 2-4 hours. The trail is very steep with many large rocks/steps. A little work and you will find yourself at one of Colorado's most visited and beautiful short hikes!

One of the best hikes that ends in a perfect serene location.

Picked the perfect day. It was cold and cloudy and only two other people joined me at the lake. The turquoise color and clarity of the water is exceptional. Well worth the effort!

This trail was really fun. The only challenging part of this hike was the ice. Going up the slippery slope was a little sketch but in the end the view was worth it. We stayed till the sun went down and used our headlamps to hike back down. Being the last one to leave the trail was exciting.

Short hike, beautiful lake at the top. Crowded trail but worth it for a relaxed fun trip.

Beautiful atmosphere! Totally worth the hike, which can be difficult at times. Just keep going!

Ditto what everyone else said: difficult but worth it.

Twas sad to see how much trash there was towards the top when you looked down over where the hand rail begins. There were a lot of people on the trail.

Also while we were up there someone dumped a bag of trail mix and left it. I did not like seeing that but it was awesome to see so many international people enjoying the trail. Knowing people came from across the planet to see this was awesome. Tourist attraction indeed. Spouting rock was worth the little jaunt up there....

Will come back again for this workout of a hike.

I've done this hike several times. It's one you want to show to people who visit.

Easy hike.. it's 6km from the parking lot.. beautiful at the top.. wasn't crowed at all I was there on nov 3rd

Had an amazing time!! GORGEOUS views!! Definitely worth the climb!

Arrived at the parking lot at around 11. It was full, and a line of cars formed behind us. There were some people coming back from their hike but their spaces were immediately taken by cars that just happened to be next to them. So we tried to park our car, but eventually couldnt make it.. very dissapointed. Changed our plan and went to hike another trail.

Great hike. Beautiful views more then amazing. If you are in Glenwood Springs you have to do this hike. Most do hike. After you get to the first waterfall don't forget to hike a little bit more for another amzing waterfall.

Challenging to death defying once we got to snow altitude. The trail was extremely slick. Our hiking sticks saved our lives

Strenuous at times but well worth it!

My Husband and I did this hike at the end of October last year. Loved it. Took our time, well worth the effort.

Worth the effort. Get an early start to beat the crush.

Way too crowded. Overhyped for what it was.

After reading the reviews listed here I found myself asking a few things, so hopefully I can help answer those for others.

Got to the trail around 4:45pm and was back to the trail head at about 6:25. Spent about 20 minutes at the top taking pictures and such. Overall, I would say, I am in decent shape and was able to do this hike relatively easily at a very expedited pace to get to the top before dark. There were alot of people on the trail coming down at this point which often made it difficult to maneuver on the trail. I would recommend getting here later in the day as most people say, I cant imagine being on this trail with hundreds of people trying to get around you. As noted by others the parking lot was quite empty at around 4:30. Just be prepared and bring a flashlight in case you arent as quick and get stuck on the trail in the dark.

You should get there early for this one but it is really a beautiful hike. Love this one