Hallett Peak

Hallett Peak is a 9.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, CO that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible from March until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Great alpine hike with views galore, from wooded lake to mountain peak. Hike north around Bear Lake about 1/4 mile. Follow signs to Flattop Mountain. Enjoy the Dream Lake overlook on the way. On Flattop enjoy the views on the continental divide, when ready turn south and follow the ridge trail up to the peak. Watch out for rain/snow on the top. Return the way you came.

Wonderful trail!! Loved it. I would put this as moderate. To the actual Peak is a class 2 scramble so that was slightly difficult . Highly recommend

amazing views. challenging. winds were brutal after the tree line. breathtaking. take your time and look around. my first summit hike ever and I loved it.

Great views.

Great rewarding hike.

Rad!

I will never forget this amazing, breathtaking trail with my 10 year old son back in 2001. It was everything you could hope for in a once in a lifetime vacation.

This was the toughest trail I have ever done! I have hike trails with that had climbing and vertical gain but 5 miles straight of vertical gain was tough. Not to mention the thin Colorado air. It was a personal challenge and the payoff at the end was worth it. My three children and husband did this trail with me. We had to take several breaks along the way.

Great hike with a lot of vertical gain. Probably greatest views of Colorado. Watch for afternoon summer and fall thunderstorms...spooky how fast they move on you. Get back to tree line by noon. Very cold and windy at top too.

We did this trail yesterday! Great view and challenging trek. Not that this is much of difference but our gamin GPS indicated that our hike was 10.5 miles (5.5 miles to the summit) with over 3,500 foot of gain. Do not know which number is more accurate but I suspect the the 3,236 is a net gain that does not account for some of the down.

Amazing hike with several miles above the tree line. The wind was blowing pretty consistently so make sure you pack some layers. The views were outstanding and the trail was easy to navigate. Big thanks to the trail and cairn builders. Great job. On of the best in RMNP.

Definitely agree with the other reviews, start early, and be prepared for the wind. I got up to Flattop around 10:30 and the wind was gusting really hard. I was definitely winded by the time I got up to Flattop, took a 20 minute rest and then was ready to go up to Hallet's. The trail up to Hallet's is roughly marked but mostly a scramble. The views at the top were AMAZING, and totally worth it!!!

Start early and prepare for windy conditions. Can be done as a combo hike with Flattop Mountain. Great views and workout. Take a rest in the saddle above Tyndall Glacier before staring the climb. Follow the cairns and do a little scrambling.

Excellent hike from the Bear Lake Trailhead. Start early to avoid crowds at the beginning of trail and to miss inclement midday weather. It is a challenging hike with a fairly significant elevation gain (3236 ft.) over the length of the hike. (5 mi.) Terrific views of the lakes below and adjacent peaks along the way. Well worth the additional climb from Flattop Mountain.

Great long hike. Usually everyone is tired at flat-top but it's worth an extra 30-40min to go on up to Hallett's Peak. Very Windy. Make sure you go early before the storms hit.