Hahns Peak Trail

Hahns Peak Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Clark, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

Directions from Steamboat Springs: ACCESS #1: Go west on US Hwy 40 to County Road 129. Drive north, 29 miles to the old settlement of Columbine. With the General Store on your left, turn right onto the dirt jeep road, FDR 490. At this point, private property needs to be respected. Drive 1.8 miles down FDR 490 and it will fork, turn left. After 0.2 miles it forks again, again turn left and park.

For the right vehicle, this is an excellent trail. The best trail I've hit excluding the 65 scratches I had to have wet sanded out of a brand new truck.
Trails were super narrow and recommend taking a hedger to make way in the deeper ends of the trail. Amazing jumping hills too.

I am not accustomed to the elevation of 10,000 + but hiked this slow and steady. My hiking poles were a great help as the trail was rather rocky to say the least. It was worth the huff and puff. Terrific views the entire trail from wildflowers to panoramic scenes for hundreds of miles. Many people hiking on this weekend. Dogs would have a tough time on the terrain without booties. The cooler temps as we climbed were a relief from 90 degrees at Steamboat Lake. Bring extra water!

Great hike! No complaints. The road to get to the trailhead is pretty gnarly but with 4WD and taking it slow you can make it up. Beautiful views and some neat things to see: an old miner's cabin, an old mine, and the lookout post at the summit! Very cool!

Second time hiking Hahn's Peak. Big views for a short (but difficult) hike. Be leery of hiking this too early in the season. Went up first weekend in June and there was still enough snow to cover a lot of the trail. We even post-holed up one section! Make sure to follow footprints on your way back down. Very easy to get misdirected in the snow.

This is a great trail for altitude acclimated hikers. Word of caution. Start early and get off the mountain before the thunderstorms roll in. I was caught in a thunderstorm at the top. I took cover in the look out station thinking I was safe. I later found out that a couple had died doing the same thing I did. Very sad story. Don't let that deter you however. It's a great view from the top.

off road driving

There are a number of jeep trails in the area. I was the first Jeep to go from Seedhouse campgrounds to Farwell Montain top this year. Tried to make the top of Hahns Peak Monday and we found a huge hole in the trail near the top and snow blocking the last two switch backs. My jeep has 3 inch lift.