Greyrock Trail

Greyrock Trail is a 7.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Laporte, CO that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Fort Collins: Travel 17 miles west on Hwy 14 to the Greyrock Trailhead.

Great hike. Started at 8:20 and it wasn't too busy. Took 2.5 hours up and a little over an hour down. Pretty busy by 12 when reached parking lot. Decent shade along the route and breezy at the top.

My girlfriend and I gave this a go about a week ago, and I echo most of the reviews in saying it was a really great and fun hike. We got on it around 8:30 and though the parking lot was full (it's pretty small) we found convenient street parking right by the bridge to the trail. We only saw a handful of people/groups during our hike up, and enjoyed feeling like we had it mostly to ourselves. It felt deceptively longer than the roughly 3-4 miles to summit, but we had no complaints. We didn't see snakes, as some have reported but saw a few deer and chipmunks. As others have stated, the last leg of the summit trail wasn't well marked and required a little scrambling, but the views up top were well worth the effort. Bring plenty of water and maybe some grub to enjoy up top. Oh, and consider wearing pants, not shorts, as there was poison ivy just off the trail in several places. Enjoy!

perfect weather and a fantastic view all 360 degrees! great workout!

This was a very good local somewhat challenging hike with great views. The trails were somewhat overgrown, uneven, loose rock and some hand and foot climbing at Grey Rock. Just what a couple of 50+ year old men were looking for in a hike. We generally aren't looking for a city park path to hike.

It's worth noting that some of the trail at Grey Rock was hard to discern and some worn path areas can easily lead you off the path. However, you're not going to get lost and it's pretty straight forward to recognize and get back on trail.

The burnt-out trees and the quite flat inset at the summit area provided a unique eeriness, which added to the hike.

We only saw about 14 people, some with dogs. Not bad for a local hike and the 7.4 mile trek (Loop & summit).

The fact that the trail was built in 1910 was interesting and makes you think about the surveying, planning and constructing the trail at that time period. Something to appreciate.

Many people mentioned plenty of water. I would agree. The distance, dips, rises and overall ascent will drain you. Stay hydrated my friends.

I would highly recommend this local, somewhat challenging, hike.

90+ degrees made for a long day. Did the full loop taking the Meadow Trail for the way down. It was much longer than the way. For the effort required and the temp that day 2 liters was NOT enough water. That said the scramble to the summit and it 360 degree view made it all worth while. This hike will stay with me for a long time.

Great hike - I enjoyed the Meadow Trail more than the Summit trail due to the overlooks. Beautiful scenery and amazing view from the top!

Interesting but rocky trail. Steep grades & some light rock climbing in spots. Lots of plants, berries and even some grapes & plums which surprised us. Pretty good workout but the views near the top are worth it. We just did the loop with the dog and even she was worn out afterwards. It's all uphill to the midpoint and of course almost all downhill coming back. I'd do this trail again and recommend it to mid level and above hikers.

This hike was pretty brutal. Bring plenty of water and food, and you'll want to give yourself at least 5 hours to get back to your car. Very rocky terrain, especially on the rock trail. The meadows trail is longer, but I found it to be much easier. When you get to the rock portion of the climb, keep going towards the peak on the west side of the hill. That's where you'll find the little pond, and the views from there are insane. I thought the trail was pretty overgrown, but nothing impassable. Overall I had a good time, but I'd say it's not for beginners.

This trail is amazing. My wife and I did this together. It is no joke. Just take your time lots of water, water, and more water I think we went through 8 quarts so for your safety bring water. Also there is a possibility you may meet a rattlesnake along the way we ran into one on are way down and he wasn't happy. Just take your time and be alert. Good luck and happy trails.

Kind of plain for the first 2 miles before you get to the peak. Once you get to the mountain it is fun with plenty of climbing opportunities. The summit is well worth the trip. The trail is well maintained and it wasn't too crowded.

The end scramble is pretty good. The initial trail running through some trees is also fun but rest of the trail is long and boring and normal track. The view from the top is nice. Midway the trail runs down and again up and then finally runs down to reach the base of grey rock. I managed to complete this in sandals but had a pretty bad thumb sore a week later.

I'm thinking about doing this hike but wondering if people really keep their dogs on leash? One of mine is aggressive so I'm a bit weary of very popular trails...

Good trail! Kicked my butt, but the views at the end are well worth it! Saw one deer on the hike back too.

A little crowded but awesome hike. Didn't make it to the top so will be back again!!

Nice hike! Took a few hours to get up the Summit trail--we lost the trail near the top, but finally found a few cairns to help us on our way. Loved the bit of scrambling, and the lake is lovely! Great 360 view from the top rock.