Gregory Canyon Trail

Gregory Canyon Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Highway 36: Take the Baseline Road exit and travel west toward the mountains. Follow Baseline Road 1.5 miles passed the entrance for Chautaugua Park to the Gregory Canyon Trailhead. Turn left into the parking lot on a dirt road. A parking fee is charged at this trailhead for vehicles not registered in Boulder County or not displaying a Boulder Resident Permit. Permits can be obtained at the trailhead or at the Chautaugua Park Rangers Cottage.

We did a loop; went up the Gregory Canyon trail, then took Ranger down. The hike up Gregory Canyon gave us a run for our money; definitely got our workout in. There was scrambling at some places which was fun. Overall good views of Boulder; but pretty busy. We went on a Sunday afternoon; going in the morning would probably be best.

Great hike, mix of difficult and easy parts with some scrambling. Was very quite through most of the trail and not very busy. Great views of Long's peak and the city of Boulder.

Great on cloudy days. But storms come in fast so watch for them. Some water in the creek. Busy on holidays. Wear footwear that doesn't slip because you are frequently walking on rocks.

gorgeous scenery. arrive early as it gets a little crowed later in the morning. lots of shade and loose gravel so make sure your shoes or boots are good. one of my favorite trails.

I hiked this trail with my friend at 10 AM on a Sunday and there is very little traffic. It was also mostly shaded. I recommend wearing hiking boots because of loose gravel and large rocks.

All in all we love this trail and it was very appropriate for a quick sweat. It had nice views and easy to read maps

I love this hike. Never crowded, partly shaded, and a nice mix of difficult sections with easier/recovery segments. The views are gorgeous when you get to the Saddle Rock section. The descent down the Saddle Rock ladder makes you feel hard-core ;-)

I really enjoyed this trail. Not too crowded and the scenery is gorgeous. Enough shade to enjoy the rocky and steep parts of the trail. Definitely worth it!

Part shaded, really nice hike

Pretty wildflowers at the end of May.

I loved this this trail plus at this time when there is so much snow melt it was nice to have a trail that only had a few soggy sections.

Only time I saw a bear during my four years in Boulder was during my (first and last) trail run up Gregory. It was sleeping. Apart from that, this trail has lots of shade and could be great for hot summer days. If you're looking to avoid crowds, this may be a good pick, but there are countless better options for scenic views in Boulder.

We frankly didn't love this hike. It's September, so perhaps its wildflower attractions are over and done with, but it felt like an uphill slog without much payoff. The views were alright but not spectacular by Boulder standards, and the main plant life interest was avoiding lots of poison ivy in the first stretch. That said, I can see that it would be great for someone looking mostly for a good workout.

Sorry to sound so negative but in the end we decided we wouldn't soon return. Too many other nearby options with greater overall appeal.

Nice!