Green Mountain Trail

Green Mountain Trail is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Lake, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

This was a fun trail that we did with our kids, ages 7 and 10. We hit the trail at lunch time on Oct. 9 so it was about 55 to 60 degrees. The trail had seen some recent snow and it was snowy and icy in spots. The melting snow made the trail very muddy. It wasn't deep mud - my trail shoes handled it - but it made the trail slick in several places and was generally a minor nuisance.

The trail was beautiful and well maintained, with restrooms (vault toilets) at the trailhead, then meandering through a lot of pine with some Aspen. The trail is suitable for kids who are capable of watching their step - plenty of exposed roots and other minor hazards. The grade was not bad for our boys. We paused on occasion to rest but overall they loved it.

The trail is a pretty steady climb up to a high mountain "park" that is essentially a bog with a sea of native grasses, surrounded on all sides by mountains. This is where you often see moose and elk, although we saw none ourselves. Sadly, I'd estimate 80% of the trees in the area have been killed by the bark beetle. But the beauty of that area is still worth the effort.

The young RMNP rangers were working hard to improve and maintain this trail. It was fascinating to watch them use horses and mule trains to bring rock and tools up into the forest to work.

The hike was easy but fairly popular. So if you want solitude, this trail won't provide that. The big meadow at the top offered grazing moose and a beautiful, clear, running stream.

The descending work crew, with their pack train, got temporarily halted by a pair of moose @ the trail head that weren't interested in moving on. Drama!

Trail is 1.8 miles each way to a huge meadow. My 4 kids did this trail - ages 11, 9, 7 and 4. Trail has a few climbs and muddy spots - lots of bugs. But the kids did fine and when we reached the Big Meadow, there were moose. Beautiful scenery. If you are taking this trail, don't stop at the first meadow but get all the way to the trail sign that arrows to the Big Meadow - that is the one to see!

Great trail, a waterfall for your reward. My 8 year old crushed it. Fun!!

Like a few other reviewers we did the Green Mountain, Tonahutu, Onahu 8 mile loop. Not a overly difficult hike but decent elevation gain and not a walk in the park either. We went in June of 2013 and there were some snow covered areas that got a little bit slick but fortunately we did not have many bugs. We did see a few moose in one of the open meadows.

We normally spend our time on the east side of RMNP and came here to hike for one reason: the elusive moose!

I wasn't particularly impressed with the hike itself. The trees here are not nearly as attractive as many on the east side of the park, in my opinion. The pine beetle damage was very bad through here, and you don't get the overlook views that you do on many hikes on the east side.

There are multiple small meadow areas here which are nice. There were lots of bugs — something we hadn't experienced much of in RMNP.

We also hiked a loop coming up Green Mountain Trail, across Tonahutu, and down Onahu Creek, finishing by hiking Onahu Creek TH to Green Mountain TH. I'd probably recommend the reverse of this, as Big Meadows and the cabins near there were the scenic highlight of the trip and I think I prefer Green Mountain to Onahu.

We finally got our moose a few hundred yards before the hike ended, which I guess made it worth the trip.

We made a loop out of the trail by joining Tonahutu and Onahu Creek trails which came out to about 8 miles. Nice and easy maintained trail. Bring bug spray!