Grays Peak Trail

Grays Peak Trail is a 13.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, CO that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

My favorite 14er combo so far.
Be aware getting to the trailhead means driving up 3 miles of pretty gnarly road that required a high clearance vehicle, unless you don't care about your undercarriage. I saw Subarus bottoming out about a mile up; my friend's XTerra made it up without incident and we gave a couple hikers a ride up too. There is plentiful camping at the trailhead for anyone who wants to go up a day early and miss the traffic on I-70 or get in a couple extra hours of shuteye.
The hike itself is lovely. The start wanders through a valley with streams, wildflowers, and greenery. The climb begins in earnest and snakes up endless switchbacks. You don't really see the top of Grays until you're actually there. It was hike, water, rest, hike, water, rest, oh wait here we are! The summit was crowded but there is plenty of room to sit, take photos, have a snack, and high-five other hikers. If you decide to continue on to Torreys Peak the trail easily descends a saddle and climbs in earnest to the Torreys summit. The trail is rocky but stable with plenty of handholds. The descent was easy and goes back through the beautiful meadows and stream beds. Beautiful day!

I loved the trail but it was a bit brutal weather wise at the top. September 2016

Wonderful trail for a 14er, and you get 2 for the price of 1! Grays peak is cool but Torrey's peak has better views I think. Overall outstanding hike. You can see for miles in every direction. The tallest peak by far for a long time.

Surrounded by beautiful views. Trail is rockey but meanders back and forth making it a nice hike.

This was my first 14er hike. We started at 6:45am and had a beautiful day. Amazing views the whole way!

If you like Social events at the end of your hike, this is for you. There were close to 50 people at the peak when we got there. The trail is hard enough that you don't leap frog. However, there was a guy going number 2 at the peak as well. He asked us to kindly leave so he could finish. No Joke!!!! I just hope he packed it out...

Took Grays trail to summit and hopped over to Torreys! My first 14ers! Took 7.5 hours to do both round trip. Packed snow on grays but no need for additional traction quite yet.

snow pack above 13,000, but nothing
un-manageable

Fantastic trail. Summited with my two boys (Ages 12 & 16). Start before sunrise and bring at least 3 liters of water per person. Incredible views! Save some energy to cross the saddle and then summit Torrey's!

Perfect first 14er for anyone. Get out there and than up Torreys in the same day! We camped out the night before, extremely busy before sunrise so get there early, we went on a Wednesday too.

Got to watch the sunrise from the top this morning, no better way to start the day!

Being from sea level, this was a tough hike, but we did it. Phone died so it was actually longer. It was so beautiful, you really have to earn the view. There was alot of people which made it fun. Truly they inspired me to finish. Im so glad I did. Not going to lie, at one point I almost folded. Posted my recording of the trail on Greys Peak on this app but i guess the one labeled as easy. We need to make one for grey and torrys peak.

Trailhead is not good for a car with sport suspension. There is loose rock when hiking between Torrey's on your way back down the trail. But a good hike to knock out a couple 14er.