Gore Lake

Gore Lake is a 11.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Vail, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is accessible from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hunters may be in this area during hunting season. The trail is neither marked nor maintained for winter use, and it crosses several avalanche paths.

Incredible hike.one of the most scenic and beautiful hikes I've ever done. All of the views are amazing. It took me about 6 hours to do the 13 miles round trip to the lake. It was more difficult going down for me because the ground was covered in snow. It's not too strenuous but definitely an intense hike. Lots of incline, but a nice balance. The lake is gorgeous and its worth the hike up to it. Great hike for the fall.

Gore Lake is in a gorgeous basin, and definitely worth the hike. We backpacked in on a Friday afternoon and stayed 2 nights at the lake. Saw several groups of day hikers going in, but no one at the lake Friday night. Saturday a couple more groups showed up, but there are enough somewhat secluded places around the lake - we didn't notice the others at all. Took the relatively short hike to the upper lake in the area, Snow Lake. Beautiful spot at the top of the pass over Snow Lake, and relatively easy to get there. Decent amount of elevation gain to Gore Lake, and quite steep after the junction. Took us about 4 hours with the big packs.

My husband and I did this hike on 9/5/16. My legs weren't fresh, as I ran 15 miles down Vail Pass and did 4 mile Shrine Ridge hike after the day before.

Gore Lake trail was absolutely gorgeous! A great mix of pine, aspen, meadow and creek falls along the way.

Our average pace up was 28min/mile but mile 4-5 we hit elevation gain and dropped to 35min. It took us 3 hours up and 3 hours down. We could have gone down quicker but due to my sore quads, it took a bit longer.

The lake itself was gorgeous and surprisingly we were the only people there!

Awesome hike. its definitely a tough one, My GPS said 12.6 mi. rt. with a 2800 ft gain. You may see a lot of people on the Gore Creek trail but the closer you get to the lake the more quiet it gets. I would highly recommend this hike, the challenge is worth it, the lake is great. And we saw some Mountain Goat friends up there.

Backpacked up to Gore Lake for 2 nights stay and I'll say that the going was tough but definitely worth it. We were lucky enough to go up during the week and saw only a few others at the lake. Be prepared for a long steep climb at the trail junction. We took it in strides and made it up in about 4.5 hours. All trails and Protrails both say it's about 6.1 miles each way but we tracked it closer to 7.5.