Gilpin Lake Trail

Gilpin Lake Trail is a 8.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Clark, CO that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, fishing, and fly fishing and is accessible from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

Directions from Steamboat Springs: Take HWY 40 west of town and turn right on to County Road 129. Travel north about 18 miles to the Seedhouse Road (Forest Road 400; also County Road 64) and turn right. Continue for about 10 miles to parking.

Beautiful early September hike!

This trail was incredible! The wild flowers and aspen trees made the journey even more enjoyable. There were also babbling brooks at every turn! During our 11mile loop we saw two lakes and climbed close to 12,000ft. It was a gradual climb and worth every second! I highly recommend this trail!

It was beautiful! Great views of the river, pretty wild flowers along the way, loved walking through the Aspen trees. The lake was gorgeous. Would have like to stay longer but rain/snow storm came. Definitely recommend it!

I started the hike from the Slavonia Trailhead and took the Gilpin Trail up to the lake, it was absolutely beautiful and well marked. Once I got to Gilpin Lake I followed the trail around the lake and went over the pass that took me down to Gold Creek Lake trail. I followed the Gold Creek Trail back to the Slavonia TH which added a few miles to the trip, totaling just around 11. I would highly recommend doing the loop rather than out and back. Getting both lakes in one trip was well worth the extra effort.

I did this hike on Friday, July 29, 2016. Took about an hour to drive to from downtown Steamboat...probably could have been faster had I known exactly where I was going. Got to the TH at 7am so very few cars were there yet. From the very beginning this trail is surrounded by wildflowers a majority of the way. I only encountered a couple of people at the beginning (it wasn't until heading down where I passed maybe 20 people heading up). It took just under two hours to get the top. I spent a little over an hour meandering, resting, and admiring the views around the lake before heading back down. The few creek crossings were all pretty easy as well. The bugs were no problem up to Gilpin Lake but they were relentless on the way down (be sure to remember the bug spray!). I got back down to the TH in just over 2 hours (it's much more difficult for this older body to hike down than up!). There was definitely an overflow of vehicles as I drove out but there are quite a few hikes that begin at the end of Seedhouse Road. Nice to see so many people out enjoying a beautiful day in Colorado.

Amazing!

Had a great weekend over the Fourth!
Started at Slovenia TH went to Gilpin Lake camped for one night then went over the pass to the Slovenia mine found a great spot there for the night. Finished out heading back past Gold Creek Lake. I definitely recommend starting with the Gilpin side first. It's a much more gradual climb then the Gold Creek side. Great camping spots by the Slovenia mine if you're willing to take a small detour up red dirt pass trail. This year there was a lot of snow over the pass and by the Slovenia mine. Two creek crossings that required getting wet. One about a mile before Gilpin Lake coming from Slovenia TH and one about 3/4 of a mile before Gold Creek Lake coming from Slovenia mine. Overall with the detour to the Slovenia mine we did about 14 miles over three days. I would say it is an easy to moderate hike. Snow definitely posed a challenge for the weaker hikers in our group. The Gold Creek side was also much more populated with day hikers. Overall it is an amazing place with plenty of spots to separate yourself from everyone else.

Really enjoyed this trail. It starts at the Slavonia Trailhead at the end of Seedhouse Road, about 12 miles east of Clark. A short time after you start, there is a fork, left to Gilpin Lake, and right to Gold Creek Lake. You can make a loop of both trails and come back to this spot, that's around 11 miles, I read. But we just hiked out and back to Gilpin Lake.

To get to Gilpin Lake, it was just over 4 miles. The elevation gain was just over 2,000 feet. We moved slow because we had young kids with us. It's good for kids, as far as their endurance and interest will take them. We took a long time because of their pace, and it was a long day. Seven hours out and back, including the time we spent at the lake. Longest hike we've done with the kids, a bit much for young ones to get all the way there.

Lots of creek crossings, and in late July, plenty of wildflowers left. Fairly well traveled with other hikers and dogs.

Well worth the multiple water crossings. There are trees down to walk on if you don't want to get your shoes wet!

One the best for scenery. Great camping.

Gorgeous Hike

Did the Gold Creek Lake portion of this trail today with my family and it was amazing. Highly recommend it!

Tried this hike but was not able to get beyond Mica Creek (3km) as the water was too high to cross: ~2-4' deep depending on where you decide to make the attempt. Very nice hike up until then.

I have hike this trail many times. My most favorite memory was when I took my daughter. We took our hockey skates and found a pond along the way to skate. It was great. This is a beautiful hike from spring through fall.

Awesome hike, worth every minute. Hiked in July with flowers out, still some snow and caught some fish. Lots of river crossings.