Fooses Creek Trail

Fooses Creek Trail is a 16.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salida, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

From US Hwy 50, take CR-225 south for 2.5 miles to the trail head. There is parking at the trail head.

I got a late start and parked my car down by Fooses Reservoir (where many people were fishing). I wish I had brought my pickup to skip over the first 2 miles of road, which was really boring. Another guide book of mine said you needed a lifted 4WD to make it all the way to the trailhead 2 miles up this road, so I didn't bother. However, it seemed like normal trucks and SUV's could make it up okay (with some skill). I wanted to make it to the meadow (about 2 miles in from the trailhead) before turning around, but I turned around after 1 mile when I encountered a moose in a beaver pond, which was a little scary because we couldn't see each other well, and I didn't know if there was a calf nearby. I figured that was a good place to stop, making my hike about 6 miles total. I want to go back and go farther in for sure! Beautiful creek. I can see why this trail is epic for mountain bikers doing the Monarch Crest area. I may go back in a couple weeks during peak colors.

Beautiful hike into the Aspens. Right by the creek. It makes such a difference to have water running nearby!