Fish Creek to Long Lake

Fish Creek to Long Lake is a 11.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Steamboat Springs, CO that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until September.

• Almost Gave up on lake!
    40.47665, -106.69813

The description on this hike is incorrect. The map and elevation profile are for the hike from the parking lot to upper Fish Creek Falls, NOT to Longs Lake. As other reviewers said, the hike to Longs Lake is much further. The sign at the parking lot says it is 5 miles each way (10 miles round trip) to Longs Lake.

Even so, this is a spectacular hike. We went on a chilly October day so there were only a few hikers. The aspen trees were dropping leaves and were a beautiful golden.

Fairly challenging hike. It is also a pretty popular trail, so if you are looking for seclusion you may want to hike a different trail.

Beautiful hike - short but enough elevation gain to feel like you got a good workout.
Came across a bear on the way down which really spooked my dog.

Absolutely loved it. Beautiful views with crazy amazing waterfalls.

Hike to the upper falls was great, but unfortunately we hiked at least 6 miles (total, compared to the 5 miles to the lake signage we saw in the beginning) and never even found the lake due to water being too high to cross the very fast-rushing creek (more like a river!) We think the lake was just across and over the hill, but who knows! Don't try this trail during peak snow-melt season... (we went on June 20th, 2016)

Hard inclines, lots of things to climb around and over, beautiful views

Beautiful 11 mile round trip hike.
Several levels of the waterfalls are available both at the base and the top.
Make sure you have good hiking shoes and lots of water with snacks. The hike back down is rough on your toes but worth enjoying the scenery.

I'm from Florida and love to hike. If you have an opportunity to hike to the lake, it's worth the effort.

Hike was challenging but not crazy hard. Hiked mostly in forests; we went only to upper fish creek falls. Heavy to moderate use. Don't need to do it again. Got caught in a good rain but had ponchos so that was kind of fun!

Unless you have snowshoes, the snow is pretty deep and gets difficult to trudge through a half mile or so past the upper falls. Everyone we saw turned back after trying.. We tried to scramble on the rocks to the left of the trail but only exhausted ourselves and didn't make it very far. We made it about 3 miles out from the trailhead.

Did the hike to long lake in the winter. Covered in snow but 3/4 the way the path was well travelled and easy to follow. Once I got to the big waterfall (about 3.5 miles from trailhead) the tracks stopped and the map did too but I wasn't actually at any lake. Turned around at that point so I plan on going back in summer to go all the way to the lake!

This trail is very fun.

We did the 1/4 mile hike to the falls the day before (Nice and easy)and saw a sign there that said "Long Lake" 5 Miles.
So the next day we came back at 9:30 am to do it. To the top of the mountain to the first meadow was 2 hours. From there to Long Lake was another Hour. I would completely recommend hiking up the first 2 hours, it was the most beautiful hike I have ever been on in my life. But the next hour was not worth it to the lake. Also there are no signs along the way to let you know how much farther to the lake, met many people asking "How much farther?" We got back at 4pm.

My step mom and I hiked all the way to the lake. It was very low and not worth what we went through. We attempted the hike last year, made it to the first medow but turned around. This year, we used our GPS app, and it was not 5 miles to the lake, but 6.3! Each way ! So we had an extra 2.6 miles , and we were with our dogs. it was extreamly challenging, but I am glad I did it but it was very long

Hiked to the upper falls. Tough uphill hike to that point, but the upper falls are worth it if you can make it. Had the family along so couldn't get all the way to Long Lake... Maybe another trip...