Doudy Draw Trail

Doudy Draw Trail is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, CO that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trail system not much water there is a ditch that has water in it in the spring. rocky in spots some climbs not much Doudy Draw Trail (1.7 mile + 0.5 mile to intersection with Community Ditch Trail) meanders southward along the draw to the junction with the Spring Brook Loop Trail. Spring Brook Loop heads west from Doudy Draw toward the Eldorado Mountain Habitat Conservation Area (HCA). The Goshawk Ridge Trail travels through the HCA; an off-trail permit is required for off-trail travel in the HCA. After the Spring Brook Loop junction, Doudy Draw crosses the creek and heads east up the slope to the Flatirons Vista Trails. Here you will find open stands of ponderosa pine on a savannah ecosystem. Flatirons Vista North or South will lead to the Flatirons Vista Trailhead on Highway 93. Community Ditch Trail (1.7 mile west of Hwy 93 and 1.9 mile east of Hwy 93) heads along the community ditch from the Doudy Draw Trail approximately 0.2 miles south of the picnic area. This trail can be taken to the Marshall Mesa Trailhead or to trails leading to Greenbelt Plateau Trailhead, both east of Highway 93.

This trail is for trail runners and bikes. Foot hikers are expected to yield to all others. Many people have dogs and none adhere to the leash law. Skip this disappointment and head to Eldorado Canyon State Park just down the road.

Only place in Boulder open space with horse trailer parking. Weekends wall to wall people. Bicycles are the rudest I have ever encountered anywhere on the front range. Many loops off of Dowdy draw. Stunning scenery from various loops. On the far side of the canal I have seen the black squirrels. Fall many deer I have seen turkeys in the upper areas. Main issue is very crowded like city streets I rarely go any more.

Can use this trail as part of a loop. Start on the Flatirons Vista, join Doudy, cross under 93 to Greenbelt Plateau trail, recross 93 at the intersection with 128, and follow the trail south to the Flatirons Vista parking area.

Nice and easy hike to do. I went with my dog, if you are going with a dog watch out there are parts of the trail dogs are not allowed. I went a little off trail and went around to doing multiple trails in one day making a little over 8 miles total and got to see a overall of Elorado Springs and had great views. I would recommend doing a lot more than just the Doudy Draw Trail and adding in Spring Brook Loop North and Fowler to the total hike, you will get to see a lot more.

I come here often, great hike to do if you've got limited time.

Did the Doudy Draw again 3/31/15, this time did the Flatiron Vista North, Prairie Vista trail, Flatiron Vista South loop approx 7 miles. Trail is fairly easy, flat. There is slight elevation gain towards end of Doudy Draw going up to Flatiron Vista. FV North is open area, was pretty windy there, not much of view except at start, it winds around & splits to South & Prairie trails. Prairie trail is pretty winding thru meadows & joining the FV South. FV South is prettier than North trail winding thru trees back to Doudy Draw. I went during a weekday and there were hardly any hikers but quite a few mountain bikers. Hav to keep stepping off the trail for them on Doudy Draw & FV North. I imagine it gets too crowded on wkends.

Saw first signs of spring with few wildflowers peeking out through the ground.

Did the Doudy Draw again 3/31/15, this time did the Flatiron Vista North, Prairie Vista trail, Flatiron Vista South loop approx 7 miles. Trail is fairly easy, flat. There is slight elevation gain towards end of Doudy Draw going up to Flatiron Vista. FV North is open area, was pretty windy there, not much of view except at start, it winds around & splits to South & Prairie trails. Prairie trail is pretty, winding thru meadows and joining the FV South. FV South is prettier than North trail, winding thru trees back to Doudy Draw.

I went during a weekday and there were hardly any hikers but quite a few mountain bikers. Hav to keep stepping off the trail for them on Doudy Draw and FV North. I imagine it gets too crowded on wkends.

Saw first signs of spring with few wildflowers peeking out through the ground.

Did the Doudy Draw Spring Brook Loop Trail approx 5.3 miles, easy trail. Great views of the Flatirons. Pretty much open vistas except on Spring Brook south loop where it goes thru forest. Lot of bikers, trail runners even on a weekday so I imagine weekends are prolly a zoo.

Lots of open space, so if you like to be in the forest more, choose a different trail. Also, it's one one the fewer trails that allow mountain bikes. We were constantly stepping off the trail to let them by. Not my favorite.

**Parking Fee area** If your vehicle is not registered in boulder county you are required to pay the $5 parking fee.
This is a pretty moderate trail, seems to be best for bikers, joggers or horses because of its moderate incline. It starts out heading away from the mountains and then turns back, but takes a while to get there. So if you are just out for a simple stroll this trail will do just fine.

Just off of Hwy. 93 to the left of Co. 128 you will find a restored parking area with restrooms at the Flatiron Vista Trail Head. This is an amazingly scenic hike and I place it on the easy scale. This is not to say you should ever go unrepaired into any wilderness area, as this trail will take you into backcountry areas where I have personally seen mountain lion, elk, deer, bear, fox, wild turkey and large coyote. Always remember this, where you find a food source such as deer and elk and turkey, you will find predators there that are more than willing to feed on them.
Leaving the parking lot you will go through a series of gates and please respect keeping these gates open or closed as posted with the provided chains. If you plan on getting a space to park get there early and never leave valuables in your car as break-ins have been reported. As you move along the left side there is a small lake that was about three feet deep from what I was told by two hardcore fishermen who used a small depth sounder in search of a catch. It has a few ducks and geese. Also, every now and then you will see a crane or a killdeer, which is in the plover family as identified by Colorado Division of Wildlife's Jonathan Lambert. Keep in mind as I stated earlier there are mountain lion in the area so you don't want younger hikers to stray away from the group, it only takes a second for them to disappear. The area has become quite popular with mountain bikers, most of which are quite polite but there are those few. Most bikers will as they approach the give warning. In doing this most hikers will step aside to allow them to pass even though this is not what is posted or required. During my first trip to this area I saw an approaching biker coming up the trail and I stepped up on to a bank to give him passage. The trail was muddy and the heavy bike traffic was clearly doing damage to the trail. This young man who was in his late 20's to early 30's, un-showered and quite scruffy looking took the time to stop and tell me that the area I was standing on was now going to deteriorate due to my ""BUSHWHACKING", a term I had not heard until that very moment. Out of simple common courtesy, my hiking partner and I stepped out-of-the-way to allow him to pass without stopping but he didn't like the way we did it. As he continued to ramble on slamming us for stepping the "wrong way" and without another thought, I proceeded to clock him over the head with my walking stick. As he lay there motionless sleeping like the child that due to his words I believed he would always remain, I pinned a note to his chest (in crayon) telling him that I would never become the type of person that would harm an innocent little bush by pulling it out of the ground and whacking him with it. The sound of my walking stick sending a ringing echo through the canyon as it placed him gently to sleep and that was enough reward to me for his insolence; bushwhackers indeed! Now back to the trail.... =)
For the most part the trails will stay dry and the weather is usually perfect for a quick hike through one of the nicest trail systems only minutes from town you will find in the metro area.

Denver Water property is a great addition for a longer hike and you can access that from a trail just a few feet from the sign that tells you about the local wildlife on South Spring Brooke. Please be informed Denver Water has strict rules about carrying firearms on their property as well, Ranger Rick is completely on a no tolerance gun policy. Local sheriff's Departments argue that concealed carry permit holders are legal but Ranger Rick of Denver Water does not agree. BMP has a no carry policy unless you have a CCW.

As you leave the wooded area of Spring Brook Trail North, you will wind up back in the wide open grassy areas that will hold deer and elk in the early mornings as well as the evenings. This whole loop is about a three-hour hike keeping a decent pace and again unless you jump trail this is an easy hike to accomplish that is quite scenic and close to town. I strongly recommend this area as a must do hike for you and your family; and I promise you won't be disappointed.

Please remember the one thing our moronic sleeping mountain biker will never forget………
Always enjoy the vast treasure we have before us, but do it responsibly and cautiously and with all due respect to the kings of the forests that live there. Remember to be safe, always pack the right gear and never ever go into their domain UN prepared, not even for a minute. If at any time you ever come across a trail jumping flesh-eating creek-vaulting gun-toting knife wielding stick swinging Metal Chef-ing banjo pickin’ guitar playin’ owner of a face you’ll never forget and one only his mother could love scarier than your mamma could ever warn you about spooky dude, NEVER, EVER, use the term bushwhacking in his un-holy presence……..This is THE AMERICAN WOLVERINE.

I did this hike on November 5, 2013. I was part of a group and we left the parking lot at 3:30 PM. We completed Doudy Draw and Flatiron Vista and then started back down. At about the 2 hour mark it was dark dark dark ( the time zone fell back but the sun had not kept pace and it disappeared). It was a good thing that about six of us brought flashlights.

The hike was fun and interesting. We saw, but did not experience the flood damage that happened in Sept of 2013. The trail is in good shape.

This trail starts out nice and wide and then narrows quite a bit. We had a 2-year-old with us so it gets a little nerve racking when there is one of many blind corners with bikers coming downhill pretty quickly. There is also not much shade for summer walkers like us. We will go back in the Fall for sure!

Again not in littleton. Its in Boulder not a bad system of trails like most boulder trails its built on a rock field. Not hard at all some climbs but they are not hard at all some nice views.

Yup, definitely not in Littleton, just south of Boulder and outside of Eldorado Springs. Great trail system though, I run here all of the time. It's not too steep and there is access to S. Mesa trail just across the street.

Doudy Draw is in Boulder, not Littleton. I haven't been so don't take my 1 star to heart. Just wanted to make note this isn't in Littleton like it says.