EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Dirty Bismarck Loop Trail

Dirty Bismarck Loop Trail is a 14 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Louisville, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

This mountain bike version of the famous Morgul-Bismarck bike race course, is a great loop trail near Superior, Colorado Also known as the "Happy Meal Loop," the Bismarck Dirty Loop was completed in 2011 with the addition of the Meadowlark Trail section. This trail is easily accessible by Colorado Front Range trail users and is an especially enjoyable mountain bike trail. Although challenging in a couple short sections, in general the Bismarck Dirty Loop is not a very difficult trail for mountain bikers or hikers. Other than a couple low-traffic dirt road crossings, the trail is very safe and road-free. This loop trail is good for hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, and trail running. Portions of it are also excellent for cross-country skiing.

Granted we're not bicyclists. My wife and I walked here and wanted to see something pretty and nature-oriented. Instead it's dirt and rock. One star for easy parking access, another star for the cute groundhogs.

I rode the whole trail with lots of trotting and some walk and canter it took us just over three hours. Trail was wide and flat in most areas. There were some cows and my horse thought that was very interesting. Great exercise ride for the horse and relaxing for me.

We rode horseback the entire 14.5 mile trail. Had a lot of fun, but most of the trail is very hard packed and ROCKY. We encountered many mountain bikers, but everyone was extra-courteous. We were able to canter a little on the northeastern most section, but the horses walked most of the loop.

If you have a LARGE RIG be careful pulling in and out of the parking area. My 29' trailer was too big to pull in the usual way because of the landscape rocks and median at the entrance. We ended up pulling in against the one-way directions, and since everyone stopped to watch, it worked out.