Dead Dog Trail

Dead Dog Trail is a 6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Edwards, CO that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

Directions from Eagle: Travel 18 miles east on I-70 to the Edwards exit. Go south toward the town of Edwards to Highway 6 and turn right. Go 0.7 miles and turn left onto Lake Creek Road at the National Forest Access sign. Travel on this road for 1.8 miles and then turn right onto West Lake Creek Road. (There is a sign at the turn for the East Lake Creek Trailhead) It is about 4 miles to the trailhead. Stay to the right at the Y after the bridge and stay on West Lake Creek Road as it winds through subdivisions. There is parking for the trailhead to the left of the road. Please park only in the parking area as it is surrounded by private land. There are no facilities at the trailhead.

I wonder is this is a mistake. I went on this trail today at least in the way that it is waymarked and this is a National Service jeep trail that goes for a number of miles. No sign for Dead Dog trail that I saw this morning.

However, when I was hiking East Lake Creek trail the other night, I saw a sign at 39.57915, -106.58743 for Dead Dog trail. Could this be the real trail? I'll try to post a picture of the sign as proof.

Tough hike in the beginning all up hill. Woods are a little creepy in parts. Never came to the lake that's suppose to be up there but did come to a hut and waterfall.

Went for two hours up this trail. Spectacular views at times and pretty wildflower. Very steep though

Steep but awesome! I enjoyed this hike a lot but it's not for newbies due to continuous inclines (don't forget leg strain going down). 8 hours total but made it to the top of an amazing peak where you could see for miles! Brightest and most wild flowers I've ever seen once you arrive at the top. Didn't get to the lake but will try again. Tons of mosquitoes so be prepared! Don't give up - it's worth it!