Crater Lake Trail

Crater Lake Trail is a 9.9 mile out and back trail located near Silverton, CO that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until October.

wheelchair friendly

Soft trails, nice rolling terrain

As of June 8, 2016, much of the trail is snow covered, making the real trail difficult to find.

Hiking this trail,was great. Plenty of mountain scenery.It's wide open,andcan camp almost anywhere. Same lake on the way would be one great place to camp,unless you can backpack all the way to Cater lake. Then from the lake you can do a lot of back country hiking.2004-06-07

My husband and I made this a day hike. WE were pretty pooped at the end of the 11 mile hike, but we are from TX and the elevation starting point was probably part of our issue. Beautiful hike. I was just a little disappointed in the lake. I'm not sure why, but I've seen others that I enjoyed more. Potato Lake or Spud Lake, for instance.
BUT, this was a beautiful hike. Just a bit too long for a day hike for us. We are still more comfortable w/ 5-7 mile hikes.

This is a great day hike or easy backpack trip. I backpacked in and camp at the lake with my dog. It's a nice hike on a hot day as it's mostly in the forest, but you still get nice views. Unfortunately, some of those views are of the highway. There are some really muddy parts of the trail.

With so many great trails in the Silverton, Durango area, I rated this one as a two star because so much of it at the beginning is close to HWY 550N that hearing the cars and seeing the power lines bothers me. I also find the trail, which I've hiked, and backpacked a bit boring by the time you get to Crater Lake. The views beyond Crater Lake and the views of the Twilight Peaks are great. I prefer other nearby trails to this on.

One of my top five favorite hikes ever! Absolutely beautiful and although this one is a bit longer, it is not a back breaker. Make a day of it and you'll never forget it!